DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A friend recently hired a electrician and while I was helping him sheetrock I saw this. It looks like he strip the middle of the wire and loop the screw instead of looping at the end of the wires, what do you guys think? the hot and neutral wires are all like this.

·
A "Handy Husband"
12,732 Posts
Called "rabbit earing" by us old farts. It is code compliant. I don't like the tape.

Sent from my Lenovo TB-X606F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That loose black wire can't be code.
that is like that for both the black and white wire

the electrician "rabbit ear" the outlet screws and left the ends of both hot and neutrals stuffed in the metal box. I though that was strange too. Usually when I see a rabbit ear the other end is connected to another switch or outlet.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the end of the wire gets close to the metal box, its going to arc.
he most likely strip the wire at the middle so the insulation is pushed out towards the end alittle. so let say a inch of excess insulation is pushed out at the end of each wire and stuffed in to the metal box.

·
Super moderator
1,255 Posts
I don't know the code, but for me, there is no way I would do something like that.
I do however do the courtesy wrap of the screws (most of the time).

·
Naildriver
12,350 Posts
I do it on stranded wire, but not with tails that long. The stripped part of the casing helps to keep the stranded wire intact so your screw doesn't squish it all over the place. The little tail of insulation covers the small amount of stranded well and causes no arcs. I can't believe an "electrician" used all that tape, however. That looks like an after product of an overly concerned homeowner.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I understand the rationale mentioned above for stranded wire, but can someone explain the benefit of such a wiring method for solid wire?

Chris

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Really do not understand it on solid wire. Maybe just what he is used to doing. Sometimes people's ways are just " because that's the way I have always done it".

·
Registered
22 Posts
Not sure this is how they did it, but they may have pulled the insulation over the wire not actually exposing the bare wire. This is sometimes done on stranded wire to hold the strands together.
I've worked on a water heater that was wired this way and that was the first time I've ever seen this method it also was stranded wire.

·
Registered
4,966 Posts
That is the best way for stranded wire attachment.
I see no bends or kinks in that installation.....it sure looks like stranded by the sweeping curves.
I prefer stranded for all remodel work with conduit.
It takes the work out of pulling and / or pushing wire.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I never do that on stranded but It's done with stranded all the lime. If it's done with stranded why can't it be done with solid. The copper is 3/4 of an inch up from the end. Also... What's up with the tape comment?
I haven't been here in years and everyone always bad mouthed when someone put tape on a device. Jeez.. get over it. especially in a metal box and especially like in this scenario where more than likely someone needs to pull it out to sheet rock (as the OP did) and you want to stop it from shorting or hurting someone..
OK as you were.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts