DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Lic. Builder/GC/Remodeler
7,556 Posts
I don't believe in cement board. I think it's garbage.......

.....I always shake my head when I see people insist on Concrete board. Concrete board is a joke. The stuff is a pain to cut, a pain to screw and you end up with MORE joints (more places to leak) because the sheets are smaller.... and the sheets are smaller because the junk weighs so much. It's old technology... forget it... it's time has passed!
That's nice. However, it is just your personal opinion.

My Tile Supplier (2nd generation tile guy that sells to the trades & public - and also installs) uses nothing but CBU for the substrates.

We will also stick to CBU for substrates. Easy to cut & quick to install when you know what you are doing. Much more stable substrate - over other products. Nothing wrong with adding other membranes and membrane systems over it.

We did 3 master custom-bathroom tile showers last month. Got another 1 coming up in 1 week, and many more scheduled for 2011, including a steam shower unit in an owner's spa suite. = CBU for all of them!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Everyone's opinion is different. I've done both. Cement board is absolute garbage compared to Vinyl Faced Dens-Glass (Tile Backer).

Opinions... but I and all the people I work with ARE the wall and ceiling industry. The builders we work for are among the best. I wouldn't expect Tile Setters to know about building walls, just as I suppose they wouldn't expect me to know about Tile.

Anyways do what makes you happy. I'll gladly stay away from that crap... because to me that's what it is.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I always tile over concrete board, with a waterproofing membrane, if it is a tub surround or a shower. I use moisture resistant drywall for the rest of the bathroom.

I didn't even think about this when I posted at first. I just thought it goes without saying that no one tiles over drywall of any kind.

I have never tiled over greenboard. I think it could be done, but at the risk of inevitable decay and mold a few years down the road.

Leave a sheet of greenboard outside in the rain for a few months. Do the same with some wonderboard. Compare what they look like.

That tile backer stuff could be ok with a vinyl layer or whatever. Still, I prefer concrete board.

And someone else pointed out the convenient sizing of the 3'x5' sheets. They are ideal for tub surrounds.

You can score it a few times with a sharp razor blade, and break it like drywall. It is fairly easy to work with, and I never found it to be unreasonably heavy.

Peace.

·
Old School
3,634 Posts
:laughing: :no: Great thread. Proof, positive, that both Hangers and Setters came by their reputations honestly. :thumbup:

21 - 26 of 26 Posts