DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

A/C water damage

714 views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  runagate 
#1 ·
I found a bubble of water yesterday, up in the ceiling around my AC access. I opened it up, took out the filters and couldn't see much of a problem. I turned off the AC, and the drip stopped, but the ceiling felt like it was squishy in several places. So I took the frame off, and peeled off some of the paint, finding more water damage around the dry wall ceiling, basically the entire perimeter of the AC access. I still couldn't find a sure source of the leak, and think I'd have to open the ceiling to find out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to call a contractor, but does anyone have any advice?
Building Wood Line House Beam
Wood Building Shade Beam Wood stain
Brown Wood Material property Gas Tints and shades
Brown Wood Material property Beam Tints and shades
Brown Building Wood Beam Window
Brown Building Wood Fixture Wood stain
Brown Wood Fixture Tints and shades Gas

See less See more
#2 ·
I've never seen an air handler in an attic configured like this. Normally the air handler is sitting on an overflow pan with a "kill" switch should the condensate not flow out the pipes and gather in the pan. All that is to keep what you have from happening. I have no wonder at your situation happening with the moisture created by the air handler. Maybe some of the others can constructively comment. I'm interested in what they say, so I'll monitor this as well.

Reactions: biy^n
#3 ·
Yeah it is an odd setup, this would appear to be the return duct with the condensate drain and control wiring routed through it. Is there any other way to access the rest of the unit up there?

Your condensate drain is probably clogged up. And since you don't have a backup pan, it started dripping into the ceiling. You may be able to clear the drain with a shop vac from the outside or you may need to cut the pipe and blow it out.

The damaged drywall where the paper is peeled off will probably need to be cut out and patched. Not too difficult

#4 ·
I don't actually have a clue if there's another access point. It's a condo, so I haven't explored the exterior points, but I'm guessing they'd have to go up through the ceiling. I definitely don't have the means to cut any pipe. I'll try to find out more.

#5 ·
I found a bubble of water yesterday, up in the ceiling around my AC access. I opened it up, took out the filters and couldn't see much of a problem. I turned off the AC, and the drip stopped, but the ceiling felt like it was squishy in several places. So I took the frame off, and peeled off some of the paint, finding more water damage around the dry wall ceiling, basically the entire perimeter of the AC access. I still couldn't find a sure source of the leak, and think I'd have to open the ceiling to find out.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to call a contractor, but does anyone have any advice?
I would file an insurance claim and have them deal with it as a water damage claim. Get a public adjuster also, because they will try to pay you way less than what they need to. Let your insurance pay for it... that's what insurance is for. You might get enough to repair and maybe get a new A/C unit. Do not repair or break anything more.... Just call ASAP and file a claim. There is always more damage than what you can see with your eyes. There could be rotted wood and other damages you might not see like mold, rotted wood, etc.... You dont really know how long its been leaking for.

#10 · (Edited)
This has been going on for long time, maybe months or even years. Insurance does not cover drip leaks, only accidental one.

Every AC sweets at the heat-exchanger coil. That is why they have a drip pan to collect the water and lead it to the outside via pvc pipe. Find it on the outside of your condo Usually close to the ground (1/2 inch size) and see if it is dripping or not, when AC is running.. It might be blocked somewhere.

The white pipe is. your drain line.
Reach with you hand in the metal container where it comes out, is it wet there, it should not be.
Wood Gas Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

#11 ·
My attic drip pan has 2 copper drain pipes installed at two levels.
The first one is supposed to drain all the water out and runs down to a flower bed.

The pipe that is mounted a bit higher than the first drip pipe is the “trouble alert”. It’s exit is above a window so you can see it dripping past the window as well.
If I ever see drips from it, it means pipe #1 is blocked and I better find out why/fix it.

In the past 21 years, I’ve haven’t seen a drip from the upper pipe, except during testing. But it is a comfort knowing it’s there.

#12 ·
This has been going on for long time, maybe months or even years. Insurance usually does not cover drip leaks, only accidental one.

Every AC sweets at the heat-exchanger coil. That is why they have a drip pan to collect the water and lead it to the outside via pvc pipe. Find it on the outside of your condo Usually close to the ground (1/2 inch size) and see if it is dripping or not, when AC is running.. It might be blocked somewhere.

The white pipe is. your drain line.
Reach with you hand in the metal container where it comes out, is it wet there, it should not be.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.