DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday my A/C stopped blowing air. As far as I can tell, everything inside seems to be working fine, so I believe it's an issue with the outside unit. The fan and compressor wont run at all. I did hear a slight hum when I was out there, but that's it. I pulled the electrical access panel off to check inside there.
I'm thinking it's the capacitor. The top seems to be bulging and as I understand, it should be flat. Anyone know if this could be my problem?

Thanks

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
The capacitor is bad for sure, fan motor may or may not survived.

If the contactor is pulling in and you've got power (240v) being applied change the cap.

With a bad cap the motors draw excess current when trying to start, normally the internal protection in shuts the motor to prevent damage but there's a chance fuses in the disconnect got blown, if there are fuses.

Could be the fan side or the compressor side or both that's bad -> check for power (fuse/breaker open?), change the cap and see if it runs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. The unit is making some kind low hum, but that's it. I happened to put my hand on the top of the cover where the fan is mounted and it was pretty hot, so hopefully that's not a bad sign. I don't have a voltage tester at the moment. I'm trying to decide if I should just replace the cap and see what happens or just call somebody to come out tomorrow morning. If it wasn't 80 degrees in my house right now, I would just try replacing it. Unfortunately, I'm going to have an unhappy wife if I don't get this fixed soon.

·
Registered
15,592 Posts
Change it and if u want to do troubleshooting beyond that get yourself a meter, cheaper than calling someone else if u have electrical knowledge.

Leave the machine off for a few hours to cool down - if u're lucky no damaged occurred.

If u give the fan motor as spin (with a stick or applying water pressure from hose) with power applied and a bad cap it should start.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update. I ended up just calling someone out. It was the capacitor, as you said, and everything works now. It's a shame that I could have fixed it myself, but I just didn't have the time to mess with it if the capacitor wasn't the only problem. If the circumstances had been different, I would have just tried it. The problem was that if I couldn't fix it today, then I would have to wait until Tuesday to get someone out here unless I wanted to pay weekend and holiday rates. Thanks for all of your help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.