DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been working on a wall with all the wiring and tubing for my central air unit above my head. Notice a humming seemingly coming right from the tubing and/or wiring. The hum starts followed shortly by the cool air blowing through the house as it should. The unit seems to work just fine, just want to make sure if this is a cause for concern as I am finishing this part of the basement and would rather get it taken care of now rather than after drywall goes up. Thanks.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
It is the sound of the liquid refrigerant/freon running thru the lines. No problema.:no::)

·
Registered
1 Posts
buzzing/gurgling

The buzzing is usually associated with the refrigerant leaving the metering device, and the gurgling is usually associated with the refrigerant going through the line to the metering device. and a small amount can be heard in the evaporator. this is normal and is a little annoying but there really isnt much you can do about it. maybe add a clamp with a rubber grommet and affix it to a floor joist or maybe a stud in the wall. that might help with both of these annoyances.

·
Hvac Pro
23,688 Posts
Yeah, as long as it runs it hums. You can add some insulation to the small copper line if it is driving you nuts or insulate the cavity the lines run thru also.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it ok for batt insulation to be stuffed in the ceiling joist cavity where the AC lines run? Are they ok to come in contact with insulation? Thanks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts