DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As stated in the title I recently upgraded my thermostat which could very well be the cause because I've never honestly done it be and ended up with an extra Orange wire that I could figure out where to put. I've read that anything to do with circuits I'm better off calling a pro, I would love to dodge paying that if possible. Any advice?

·
Registered
15,604 Posts
Do you have a heatpump?

Sounds like you need a heatpump thermostat and yes, running it in heating mode in hot weather could cause excess compressor current draw and pop the breaker. It's not designed to be run in heat above 70f or so

You can get it to run in cool mode by putting O on the R terminal until you get the correct t-stat.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Does the indoor fan motor run ?

Did you trip the circuit breaker for the indoor fan or for the outside condenser unit ?

Do you now have power at both units .

If it is straight A/C , is it gas heat or electric resistance heat ?

Will it go into heat mode ?

God bless
Wyr

·
Administrator
42,396 Posts
Post brand and model number of both the indoor and outdoor unit.

·
Registered
15,604 Posts
Does the outdoor unit come on in heating mode with the existing stat?

Do you have an outdoor unit?

If you're in a condo building, you may have a water source heatpump. In these applications, there's a water loop which feeds the heatpump - unit uses electricity to remove heat from the water, condentrate it, dump it into the air; opposite in cooling mode.

Water source heatpump would be wired the same way as an air source heatpump.

·
Registered
15,604 Posts
Is it blowing room temperature air?

Outdoor unit running, indoor unit running on straight cool = refrigerant issue or compressor not running.

Call a pro unless you're super-comfortable with high voltage circuits.

You shouldn't have an O on a straight cool - post model numbers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.