DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Part of my house (West side and bathroom) is on a slab and part (East side and kitchen) is over a crawl space over dirt. I am going to move my propane tank to the West side of the house and switch to a propane HWH in the bathroom. I need to run a 35-foot propane line from the kitchen to the bathroom. There is a six-inch diameter cast iron "raceway" that is embedded in the slab under the bathroom wall and opens into the crawl space.

From East to West, the line will go below the floor behind the stove, run West the length of the crawl space, run through the raceway (currently holding hot and cold water pipes) all the way to the end of the raceway, turn up above the slab, then turn West inside the wall to the HWH and out the West wall, then underground to the tank.

How can I get a 90 degree turn of the line in the elbow of the raceway?

From the crawl space I will push the line into the raceway. I have two possibilities: (1) If I use black pipe, I will already have a 90-degree elbow fitting mounted at the insertion end of the black pipe. From above the slab in the bathroom I will have to join and seal a vertical pipe into the 90-degree fitting. (2) If I use copper pipe with a bender spring on the insertion end, from above the slab in the bathroom, I will have to tease the copper into a gentle 90-degree curve. But then I will need to have a joint in the vertical (probably soldered), leading to another 90-degree curve pointing West again.

What is better and why -- black pipe or copper or ??? All suggestions appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
It seems either one will work. The black pipe may require some careful measurement to get it to line up.

If you're feeding the copper through a hole in some other metal, you should be careful to make sure the copper doesn't end up against the side of the hole. Harder metals may wear a hole in the copper. If that could happen, you may need to provide a 'cushion' around the perimeter of the hole.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.