DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 9 1/4" opening (total width of wall including 5/8" sheetrock on each side) that I need to find a pre-hung 48" double raised panel door to fit - each door needs to be 24" wide by 80" tall.

Is it possible to buy a pre-hung door with a door jamb this wide? If so where - brick and mortor location or internet okay. Need this for a home in Houston, Texas.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
By "width" you mean "wall-thickness" right?

You are using full 8" studs? How's that work?:) Sounds like special order to me unless you have real carpenter skills and don't mind some jamb extensions.:)

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
Okay, now it's an exterior application. So these are exterior type atrium doors of a sort, is that correct?:)

Special order my friend special order.:)

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Lyndon said:
Old house. Once exterior porch that was enclosed.
Feel ya' I've got a few 14 inch thick door openings in my 200 year old home. I guess Home Depot isn't counting on my solid brick walls. :laughing:

Your best bet is to find some contractors in your area that specialize in old homes, cozy up and start learning.

Local lumber yards are a good place to start looking.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
we used the split jamb pre-hung doors on a house that had a 12 inch interior wall. it was a modular and the doors were between the 2 sections. we got it from a door supplier. the split jambs were trimmed on both sides already also.

·
Learning by Doing
3,156 Posts
Lyndon said:
NO, not exterior. Interior that was ONCE exterior!
:laughing: oh, I've got some of those too. They're 16-18 inches thick :whistling2: same thing. Enclosed porch.

·
Super Moderator
12,372 Posts
Just go to a "real lumber yard" and order what you need or build your own jambs.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Okay,

Today at lunch I will go to a "real lumber" yard as opposed to Home Depot or Lowe's and give that a try. Will let you know the result.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts