DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine has bought a house and in the kitchen there is a vinyl like material 4' up the wall in the kitchen. It resembles vinyl, but the backing looks a lot like tar paper. The problem is that when trying to peel it off, the plaster is coming off also. There are some areas that the backing will not even come off. I tried a heat gun, but it does not work at all. I was wondering if there is a product or technique that will help ease the work of removing this material. I was also told that it does contain asbestis. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

·
Mold!! Let's kill it!
2,849 Posts
What you have is probably Congo-wall. It was a linoleum type product made as a wall finish by Congoleum Corp. It could contain some asbestos. Most likely it is so encapsulated by the asphalt contained in it that it wouldn't be a problem. I would still use some precautions, like a respirator with dust filters. The mastic used to install it could also contain some asbestos. Best bet is to keep everything damp if possible, while you remove it. I don't know of a really easy way to get this stuff off. a wide sharpened scrapper worked in behind it as you peel it off is probably as good as it gets.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice. I will tell him to use the precautions you mentioned and get some rest, because this is going to take a while.

·
Registered
20 Posts
it may be easier and save enough time to of-set the cost to just remove the plaster with the covering and re-do the wall that is damaged. just my $.02.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did give him that option, but he has never worked with drywall before. He wants to do the work himself and money seems to be tight for him. But if worse comes to worse, I will have to break down and give him a hand. Thanks for your thoughts.

·
Registered
30 Posts
i don't know the project that well but in old houses i have often just glued some new drywall over the surface of everything....drywall is cheap and even for the inexperienced, you can figure out how to get it smooth.......sounds like there is no fear of work there

1 - 6 of 6 Posts