DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
  • Enter Our Dog Days of Summer BBQ Giveaway Now! ENDING SOON

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All,

I'm looking for some advice on what to do with a tilting 6x6 post. This is for an octagon gazebo connected to a large deck, all on one level. I designed the posts to pass through the decking down to the footings. They are 12' long, with about 4' below the deck line to the footings.

I've been working on this for almost two years now (mainly due to limited time, young kids, first time taking on anything like this!). I understand posts can warp slightly, but this one is now leaning several inches off to one side. I'm going to wrap the posts in column wraps, though the inside dimension of the wrap is 6-3/8" -- not enough to account for this.

I suppose the simplest answer might be to cut it at the deck line and put a new one in with a plate anchored to the decking. Any other ideas? At first I was thinking I could try to pull it back into alignment, at least until I could attach the beams. There's some margin in the structure, as I think I only needed 4x4 posts, but went with 6x6s for the look and added strength. So I could try trimming it down, but that might be more hassle than just replacing it. If replacing and anchoring to the decking, any advice on type of connection to use?

Pictures and drawing attached below. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Sky Plant Cloud Tree Wood
Wood Plant Outdoor furniture Tree Leisure

Product Rectangle Font Parallel Schematic

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Twisting and bending is what PT does if left to its own devices. The one next to the circled one looks a bit bent too.

At this point, IDK what you can do except push it back into position as you frame up the rest, and hope it stays. I don't suppose you could easily remove and replace?

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Two thoughts … without being able to see the details, I suspect the framing is built wrong. Looks like you have screwed some 2x4 blocks to the side of the 6x6 to support the deck framing … that’s not code. And it’s not overbuilt as you claim. The 6x should have been notched to carry at least one of the 2x8’s in a full depth recess.

For the leaner … cut loose the column base, move it over an inch or two to plumb the part above the deck. And add some cross bracing between legs below the deck.

Tree Sky Line Swing Playground

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the comments all! @huesmann I think I could fairly easily remove and replace the post at the deck line. I'd just need to anchor it and add blocking below the decking for the anchor to have something besides decking to anchor into. I was thinking a Titan post base might work for this.

@Nealtw It does have some wiggle to it when pushed. I can move it maybe 1/2" if I shove it. But it's about 2" off and I'm not sure how to pull / push it enough to make up that difference. There also aren't any obvious leverage points. A fence post ~30' away is in line with this post. I thought about pulling it from there...

@Half-fast eddie Ahh, thank you! This was approved by the structural engineer who did the drawing (he actually suggested this connection to posts with 2x6 blocks and structural screws) and inspector. But good to know it isn't code. Guess I should have caught that earlier. I'll add the cross bracing. I don't understand the suggestion about cutting it at the column base to plumb the part above the deck. Would that correct the lean? At this point the rim joists and decking have those posts solidly in place.

·
Registered
14,584 Posts
Thanks for the comments all! @huesmann I think I could fairly easily remove and replace the post at the deck line. I'd just need to anchor it and add blocking below the decking for the anchor to have something besides decking to anchor into. I was thinking a Titan post base might work for this.
I meant replace the whole thing, from footing on up. Not possible?

·
Registered
6,591 Posts
Cut loose the connection at the bottom of the post, on top of the concrete pier. Push the top of the post to get it close to plumb. Reanchor the bottom of the post, if possible. Definitely add braces.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When you set the post, you should have put 1x4 or 2x4 cross bracing between each post. It may not be too late to do that. Cross brace the straight post and then pull the warped one in line to brace it. You can pull it into line with a come along, hooked to a 8” long, 1/2“ eyebolts. A eyebolt in the top of the warped post and the anchor eyebolt in the base of the post next to it. Then leave the cross bracing on, until the collar ties and roof structure is in place.

Attachments

·
retired framer
63,189 Posts
When you set the post, you should have put 1x4 or 2x4 cross bracing between each post. It may not be too late to do that. Cross brace the straight post and then pull the warped one in line to brace it. You can pull it into line with a come along, hooked to a 8” long, 1/2“ eyebolts. A eyebolt in the top of the warped post and the anchor eyebolt in the base of the post next to it. Then leave the cross bracing on, until the collar ties and roof structure is in place.
I was thinking if you could get it straight he could notch in a beam like you would for a deck to hold it in place,
Furniture Wood Rectangle Outdoor furniture Chair

·
retired framer
63,189 Posts
To pull it with out doing damage to the post just use a $5 fall protection sling. and choke it.
Auto part Font Metal Fashion accessory Jewellery

·
retired framer
63,189 Posts
The OP is covering the 6x6, the 1/2” holes will be invisible.
He would want the same for the tree to do no damage, With two anchor points and with maybe 2 come a longs he can get the angle of the pull in the right direction.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thank you all for the advice! I was able to get the post plumb again with a come along, hooked to a 8" long, 1/2" eyebolt through the top of the tilted post, per @rogerwh's tip. I looped the other end of a long rope around the base of a nearby fence post that was more in line with the tilt than the post next to it.

Thanks again -- this was really helpful. I'm sure I should have done many parts of this differently, all great lessons for next time I suppose. As a side benefit, I'm glad I found this forum and appreciate the thoughtful responses!

Wood Shade Ladder Biome Tree

Plant Wood Land lot Tree Grass

1 - 14 of 14 Posts