DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small cabin built in the 50’s with 60 amp fused service. The panel contains 6 circuits that feed the cabin. The cabin has two 240 volt appliances - electric stove and electric hot water heater. We seem to blow fuses quite often and I am wondering if there is a better way to solve this than upgrading to 100 amp breaker service.

I am pretty sure whoever wired the cabin has several other outlets on the water tank circuit and possible the same for the stove. I am thinking about replacing the wires to the outlets/appliances and wanted to know if there is a better way to configure the wiring.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
You can install a 100a breaker panel & keep the same 60a service
Provided local inspector OK's it - check with them
Sometime if you replace the panel on an older 60a they want you to upgrade to a min 100a feed
That would upgrade you to breakers & allow you to seperate items onto different breakers

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
The inspector would let you install a 100 amp panel (with 100 amp main breaker) while keeping the service at 60 amp?

That could overload the feeders (service drop) if these were only no. 6 which is the minimum for 60 amps.

If there were a 60 amp breaker or fuses upstream to protect the system, a 100 amp panel would work but would have to be considered a subpanel.

A typical electric water heater draws 19 amps. (standard recovery 4500 watt elements). If the water heater has its own pair of fuses/breakers and newly run direct line (10-2 Romex home run) and the stove has its own, you are not that likely to blow a fuse and if you do, chances are it would be a main fuse. With discipline you might survive on a 60 amp service. If you didn't want to spring for a bigger (main) panel yet, then you could install a subpanel for additional branch circuits.

An esoteric idea would be to have an interlocking (heavy duty) manual switch system, probably in the kitchen, which does not let both the stove and water heater get power simultaneously.

·
Banned
17,248 Posts
Thanks Allan, I left that part out :(
You would need a 60a disconnect/main breaker ahead of the 100a panel
Or check with POCO & see if the service feed is rated for 100a

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I appreciate the suggestions. I am thinking my best best is to upgrade to 100 amp service and eliminate any issues with safety.

Thanks again

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
There may be nothing wrong with your fuse panel. It's probably the way the wiring is distributed throughout the cabin. If it's just one fuse that blows, that should be easy to correct. As should anything else thats wrong. A new panel up grade is a good idea, but not necessarily the issue. In fact a new panel may still trip breakers instead of blowing fuses. Theres a reason for the fuses blowing, and it's not the fuse panel. Find out why, before you throw money at it.

Just curious? What size fuses are in this panel? Could you look and tell us?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fuses are mostly 15 but there may be a 20 in there in the case where they were the only ones we had until we made a trip into town. Having put some additional thought into it, I agree with your assessment. I am thinking the distribution is not correct. I am going to re-trace what is on the hot water tank lines since they are the problem circuits. I am thinking ithe hw tank lines have other outlet(s) that push one of the circuits over the 15 amp limit. Putting the hw tank on its own circuits might solve the problem. I will keep you posted.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts