DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm installing a spa and it requires 50 amps /240 v. My run from the panel to the interruptor is 70' (approx.). Will #8 ga. wire suffice or do I need to upgrade to #6?

·
Registered
6,728 Posts
Although # 8 is adequate for a 50 amp circuit, you need to consider the length of the run. As dSilanskas states, you will need #6 at that distance.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
Go with 16mm² { #6 AWG } that will handle fine for that distance however there is the other item may get your attetion is the type of cable if you going to bury it from the house to the spa panel or interruptor panel and I Know in USA you can not have bare grounding conductor but not sure if the Canada do follow it. { I know France the SWA is allowed but couple other cable is limited unless it run in conduit then use THHN/THWN conductors this is the only legit way }

So please state your location if you are in USA or Canada so we can able post the correct regulations to follow it.

Merci,
Marc

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
Although # 8 is adequate for a 50 amp circuit, you need to consider the length of the run. As dSilanskas states, you will need #6 at that distance.
#8cu is only good for 50A if it is conductors in conduit or MC cable. #8NM is only good for 40A.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.