DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could probably figure this out, but thought this may be qucker.

Problem- only getting 120v out of generator.
Fuses are good.

I cannot find any info online for troubleshooting.

Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Don

· Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, see pic of generator. I took apart the control panel and tested for 220v where the leads come out of the gen befor they get to the circui breaker and could not get 220v only 120v on one leg.
If you ask a question I could be more specific. I just don't know what else to tell you.
Thanks

· Registered
179 Posts
A while back I was having problems with my coleman powermate 6250, No output at all. I don't know if it would be related but I called the company and they said they were having problems with the diodes and it was an easy fix. They wanted me to bring the generator to a repair shop for the fix, I told them the place was too far, So I said just send me the diodes and I'll do it. And they did. After I replaced the diodes the problem was solved and it's been running for about five years now with no problems.

· Registered
179 Posts
Are the diodes located on the rear portion of the alternator? I think I saw them. Probably no way to test?

Thanks for your input.
Yeh, If I remember correctly there was a little metal plate that removes. I also remember I had to flash the exciter circuit. You should check your manual for flashing the exciter which also might be your problem of no output. Below is an example of flashing the exciter for another generator. just a little fyi. Again Check YOUR MANUAL FOR THE PROPER FLASHING PROCEDURE OF YOUR SPECIFIC GENERATOR ,IF NEEDED.

How to "flash" a generator when output is lost due to loss of excitation
Residual magnetism in the generator exciter field allows the generator to build up voltage during start-up. This magnetism is sometimes lost due to shelf time or improper operation, among other reasons. Restoring this residual magnetism is possible and is sometimes referred to as "flashing the exciter field".
To restore the small amount of residual magnetism necessary to begin voltage buildup, connect a 12 volt battery to the exciter field while the generator is at rest, as follows:
  1. Remove exciter field leads F+ and F- from the voltage regulator. CAUTION: Failure to remove the field leads from the regulator during flashing procedures may destroy the regulator.
  2. Measure the exciter field resistance from the F+ to the F- lead. You should be able to read some resistance as you are measuring a continuous winding. An infinite resistance reading would indicate an open in the exciter field. Also check to be sure there is no path to ground.
  3. Connect F+ to the positive pole of the battery.
  4. Hold the F- lead by the insulated portion of the lead wire, touch F- to the negative pole of the battery for about 5 to 10 seconds, then remove.
  5. Reconnect F+ and F- to the regulator. Repeat the procedure if the generator fails to build voltage.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.