DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I have a 4 Ton Rheem RAND-048JAZ AC unit, that originally had a hard start kit installed. It was removed by a local guy I had do some work last year.

I bought the 521 compressor saver kit. The unit's contactor for the T1 connector has only two spade connectors and both are being used. It looks like the compressor and fan take up those two terminals.

The previous hard start kit must have been hooked up a different way, due to only two T1 spade terminals.

So, what do people do with the (5) common connector when there are no more connectors on the T1?

I would appreciated any assistance.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
YouTube has installation videos right from the manufacturer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply. I've seen many videos of the installation. I have not seen any where they encountered not having a connection for the (5) common wire.

All of the newer contactors appear to have up to 4 spade connectors. I was hoping to not have to replace the contactor just to get additional spade connections.

·
Registered
12,486 Posts
do you know, the hard start is normally only required if the compressor is reciprocating and there's a txv or there are power supply issues or the compressor is old/tight, has trouble starting and you're trying to extend lifespan.

If it starts okay without one, it's not needed.

If you go ahead, you will have to tie into common side of the contactor.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I've seen many videos of the installation. I have not seen any where they encountered not having a connection for the (5) common wire.

All of the newer contactors appear to have up to 4 spade connectors. I was hoping to not have to replace the contactor just to get additional spade connections.

They sell spades that have an extra leg attached. You’d have to cut the spade off and attach the new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
diyorpay and jmal1031 I have seen both. I am unsure if that is an OK practice to do. I have seen the attached which would be simple. But again, is it OK to do and I assume I would use the Fan common spade and not the one for the compressor?

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts