DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just for fun I decided to see how much it is to repair a board on a $630 Mitsibushi mini split 9,000 BTU I'm getting at a surplus place. With shipping its' $520.

Buy Mitsubishi U01-A59-451 INVERTER P.C. BOARD Online (younits.com)

dang at that price I might as well. pick up an entire back up ourdoor unit!!!

aparently even the name brand stuff is uneconomical to repair.

· Hvac Pro
24,667 Posts
Just for fun I decided to see how much it is to repair a board on a $630 Mitsibushi mini split 9,000 BTU I'm getting at a surplus place. With shipping its' $520.

Buy Mitsubishi U01-A59-451 INVERTER P.C. BOARD Online (younits.com)

dang at that price I might as well. pick up an entire back up ourdoor unit!!!

aparently even the name brand stuff is uneconomical to repair.
The name brand stuff is expensive to repair but so are all furnaces these days. The no name minis you are lucky if you can get parts for at all let alone any service info. They are Chineez el cheapos built for a price point not longevity.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The name brand stuff is expensive to repair but so are all furnaces these days. The no name minis you are lucky if you can get parts for at all let alone any service info. They are Chineez el cheapos built for a price point not longevity.
I don't agree with that general statement. I replaced a gas furance board a few years ago and it was less then $200 for my furnace.
I will agree that there are a bunch of cheap chinese units out there. But guess what the name brand stuff is made in places like china and thialand too. there are sooo many new units out that no one really knows how long they last.Best thing to do is research individual brands and look at reviews and videos and ask up front what parts cost so you know what you are getting into. Since mitsubishi is the only mini split manufacturer besides MR Cool that even offers a warranty for DIY, that makes the choice pretty obvious. they wont' allow you to buy parts from them directly, but that's pretty common and there's always some place online that will.

· Hvac Pro
24,667 Posts
I don't agree with that general statement. I replaced a gas furance board a few years ago and it was less then $200 for my furnace.
I will agree that there are a bunch of cheap chinese units out there. But guess what the name brand stuff is made in places like china and thialand too. there are sooo many new units out that no one really knows how long they last.Best thing to do is research individual brands and look at reviews and videos and ask up front what parts cost so you know what you are getting into. Since mitsubishi is the only mini split manufacturer besides MR Cool that even offers a warranty for DIY, that makes the choice pretty obvious. they wont' allow you to buy parts from them directly, but that's pretty common and there's always some place online that will.
If you are getting parts for a Fujitsu or higher end unit then they are expensive but the boards on Fujitsus last a LONG time so it is not likely you may even need one. That is why you buy one. As far as DIYing yeah try stay with a brand you can get parts for.

You basic furnace board depending on what it is can be less than $200 but once you get into anything that has a 2 stage burner or has a ECM motor the price skyrockets.

· Registered
17,645 Posts
Parts across the board are expensive compared to cost of equipment - that changes when there's huge markup and $1000+++ for installation.

A mini-split that costs $1000 for you to purchase may cost $3 to $5k+ through a contractor including installation.

2-stage doesn't make the parts that much more expensive, having a constant airflow ecm does.
Board for 2-stage with x13 motor shouldn't be that bad. (though the industry is moving over to proprietary motors even for constant torque/multi-speed)

· Registered
378 Posts
I got a call from some office building. pioneer mini split was down. Looked at outside unit and it’s blinking that board bad or compressor. New whole unit online $550 . Don’t even bother to figure out what is wrong with it. Ordered outside unit and installed. Not worth even fixing it

· Registered
10 Posts
4 year old Daikin evaporator coil bit the dust. New head not available. $140 replacement coil was available under warranty from where I purchased unit, if I had a licensed Daikin tech confirm it was bad. I have dealt with 2 Daikin techs I will throw the unit out and replace before dealing with a 3rd!

Now in another unit I have a bad PC board, need to remove it to get number and look for new one and hope they are available.

I was thinking they sell mini's around me for $350, I need 3, I could buy 5, save money and should have all the replacement parts I would ever need. Last year I put a new LG 9500 dual inverter window AC in my RV and am happy with it. If the minis go belly up I may replace with those. Things to ponder.

· Registered
10 Posts
Had an interesting conversation today with a parts guy. He said that my PC board is covered for 5 years. I replied that it has to be verified by a Daikin tech, he said no just a certified tech. He was pushed for time and will call tomorrow to get a price on the part. I need to talk to him about the tech thing. If I get a license would I be able to declare my own parts bad?

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had an interesting conversation today with a parts guy. He said that my PC board is covered for 5 years. I replied that it has to be verified by a Daikin tech, he said no just a certified tech. He was pushed for time and will call tomorrow to get a price on the part. I need to talk to him about the tech thing. If I get a license would I be able to declare my own parts bad?
if you live in NY they just passed a right to repair law. it's BS. that these companies wont' sell you parts IMHO.

· Hvac Pro
24,667 Posts
yeah when I called mitsibushi they said I'd have to get a mitsibushi tech out to request any part to be replaced under warranty. Seems like the whole HVAC industry is like that.
When you get a $6000 modulating furnace installed and the circuit board is $1000 and Joe homeowner says hey I think my board is shot after 6 yrs and I have 10 yrs part warranty but 5 yrs labor so I want a board they won't give it to you. They are worried you put a new board in and fry it from not diagnosing the low voltage problem or grounding problem and then want anther one. There is a reason they don't hand out parts to non techs.

· Registered
17,645 Posts
For the same reason, places that sell to anyone (mostly online) have no returns on electrical parts unless installed by a technician policies.

· Hvac Pro
24,667 Posts
I used to work for a Lennox dealer but we got parts for all brands and had accounts everywhere so I could get parts. As long as he has an account with the supplier and is a certified tech he can get parts under warranty. Not that easy to do as they have online warranty claims and you have to hold the parts for 6 months in case they want to inspect them and billing is a huge hassle so usually most companies stick to their own brand(s).

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When you get a $6000 modulating furnace installed and the circuit board is $1000 and Joe homeowner says hey I think my board is shot after 6 yrs and I have 10 yrs part warranty but 5 yrs labor so I want a board they won't give it to you. They are worried you put a new board in and fry it from not diagnosing the low voltage problem or grounding problem and then want anther one. There is a reason they don't hand out parts to non techs.
You know as well as I do that once a part is used the manufactuere does not have to accept returns. the real reason is they dont' want you to fix your own stuff. The distributors would be pissed that their sugar daddy is giving away the suger with out giving them a lucrative profit. Even my local HVAC supply store wouldn't sell me a freaking capacitor because it pissed off the local pros who wanted thier $150 for 5 minutes work of swapping out a $10 cap.

Dont' assume everyone is an idiot basically. If people want to buy expensive parts they can and if they trash them it's their own fault.

· Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
this place sells daikiin parts online. have some tissues before you look at the prices though!

Daikin Mini Split Boards - Daikin Mini Split Parts (younits.com)

· Registered
668 Posts
99% of homes/apartments in my country use mini splits. Look at apartment buildings and you will see hundreds of condensers mounted to the facade. Its not Black Magic repairing or finding parts.

· Registered
10 Posts
One of the reasons I went with minis is I spend time in Asia and minis are everywhere, I do not recall ever seeing central air except large commercial buildings. Mini's are sold everywhere, hardware, appliance stores, malls. The outside of apartment buildings and condos has a condensor outside of each unit.

I could not find a PC board online except for used, used would be last resort.

PC board for Daikin RXN09NMVJU is $275 plus $42 shipping. This is direct from Daikin. At least they have it. What I find odd is I could not order with part # on board, had to use model and serial #.

Does anyone repair PC boards??

1 - 20 of 22 Posts