DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
New to this forum, and quite inexperienced, but willing to learn and take on big projects. Forgive me if I use the wrong terminology.

I bought a post and beam house (built 1985) that has 2x6 tongue and groove softwood flooring throughout. In the kitchen and bathrooms, it's covered with 1/4" plywood underlayment and old sheet vinyl.

I'm hoping I could get some advice to plan for the future. There is no subfloor. The T&G serves as the ceiling as well as the floor. I'm not a huge fan. The surface wears easily, and the boards have large spaces in between from movement. I suppose I could refinish them, but that won't solve the problem with gaps and movement. They just collect a lot of debris and I worry about my dog running around and getting her claws stuck in the cracks. I would like to be able to install hardwood in the future, and maybe tile or something in the bathrooms.

If I do a plywood subfloor over the T&G, will the hardwood stay in place and not get all gappy over time? Will that stiffen the floor enough to do tile in the bathroom?

There is a considerable amount of flex in the floor, due to the fact that the joists are 48" apart. I have easy access to the 1st floor beams and joists from the basement, so I could add some bracing to stiffen it up. Any suggestions on how to do that?

Here are pictures of the floor surface and the framing. The sizes on there are the actual measurements.

Floor Surface.jpg

Floor Framing.jpg

Thanks!!
Marc

·
Registered
37,181 Posts
I'd be adding 3" decking screws to make sure they do not move, then go over that with at least 1/2 A/C Plywood, Advantech T & G would be even better nailed with 8D ring shank nails every 4" on the edges, 6 to 8" in the field.
(1/4" plywood would needs to be removed first, it's useless)
That way you would have a flat non flexing floor that you could put anything over. (with tile you would need to add 1/4" tile board set in mortar.)

·
Naildriver
10,644 Posts
I built a log home that had a similar set up, but I specified yellow pine T&G for the floor/ceiling and it finished and wore quite well. The softer spruce or fir is really too soft for much traffic. What Joe said on the securing of the 2x to the beams, and layering with plywood to accept your final floor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts