DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am upgrading from a 150A main overhead to a Underground 400A service. I already have the new meter enclosure from the utility, and am trying to plan the setup. From the 2 lugs on the meter I planned to run into a 400 A disconnect then out of this into the supply side of 2 200A disconnects. One will feed our trailer and the other will feed a shop. The other idea I had is this panel setup with a 400A main and 2 200A breakers to feed from. The box is really big and as such I am leaning towards separate boxes.
Please let me know if you see any issues with my plans...

·
Electrical Contractor
1,994 Posts
400 AMP disconnects are really expensive if they will allow you to double up the crimp lugs on the meter that is probably the best way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The one that I linked to is used but looks to be in good condition, its $350 ... I had never thought of going from the lugs on the meter to the two 200A disconnects. I will contact the electric company to see what they think...

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
IIRC most 400 (320) meter pans are set up for double lug on the load side and running into two 200 amp panels is quite popular for residential. If you use any disco's make sure they are service rated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Silly me

I was looking at a few Ebay listed 200A disconnects, umm, how can I find out if they are "service rated" as suggested by Zappa.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
You could do a search on the exact model number or to be more confident ask for a pic from the seller that shows the service rating information printed in the box.

·
" Euro " electrician
5,369 Posts
I hit the link on two items you posted and both are three phase item do you have actually a three phase in there ??

Majorty of resdentails in USA side are single phase so it cheaper to buy single phase stuff.

For most 400 amp resdentails ( 320 class ) they useally have twin lug connector below the load side of meter so you will have no issue but only one warning check with your state code of the conductor size you will have to use 4/0 CU or 250 AL ( you can not use the 2/0 CU or 3/0 AL due it have to match the OCPD )

Merci,
Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts