DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I talked to the superintendent who said it was OK to run a central meter 400 amps with two lines overhead to my house. He also said they did not need to be tied together through a ground (which is not a bad idea), but each does need a ground rod.

The inspector came out today and said my wire is not rated for outdoor. It is MC cable which is for outdoor. I had to show him pictures and he said he would look more into and get back with me.

He did point out these I have been using are not rated for MC cable for the 200amp outdoor panel.

What am I supposed to use with MC/armorlite cable?

Attachments

·
A "Handy Husband"
11,848 Posts
That connector is for NM cable not MC or AC cable.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I got everything passed, and the electric company came out set a pole in my back yard, and ran a new line drop to the outdoor main on the back of my house. They will be back tomorrow to finish up.

I now have a 200 amp outdoor main on one side of my house, and a 200 amp outdoor main on another side.

I am going to run two tankless water heaters each one will have three 40 amp breakers.

They went a different route with the central meter. They said something about not being able to put a 400 amp central meter on their pole because of the size. They told me they normally run a 200 amp central meter even if you have two separate 200 amp services. I mentioned what I was doing, and they said I would need 400 amps. They are installing a CT meter. I am not sure if I will have one meter or two, but I will only be charged for one. I am not sure what a CT meter is, but I have been looking it up.

·
Licensed electrician
13,409 Posts
Does the meter also have a disconnect in it? It does not sound li,like, the services are grouped as required.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Here is a picture of the meter they put in. It has a light attached at the top of it. The light has a flat fee of $9.00 per month so I would not think this meter is only for the light.

Is this a CT meter?

They are not finished yet, and did not return yesterday as promised. So my second main is not live yet.

20201016_132956.jpg
20201016_133001.jpg

21 - 25 of 25 Posts