DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am installing a 400 amp meter base combo.I have seen plenty of example of 400 amp meter bases with separate 200 amp disconnects. These separate disconnects typically have a grounding bare and a hole punch to bring the grounding wire out through eco suit down to the grounding rods. This meter combo from milbank only has 2 large wholes to bring my 4/0-4/0-4/0-2/0 wires through. Since this box only has a spot for 3 equipment grounds that are a max size of 1/0 where do I run my 2/0 ground wires to? Also if I am running my ground wires to this disconnect, how do I exit the ground wire out of the meter base to go to the grounding rods. I have talked to our inspector and power company(Duke) and they do not seem to have a ton of exact advice on these meter combos and recommended maybe just running my ground wires from my inside breaker boxes. I have already run and purchases the 4 conductor wire so I am hoping to connect to ground through my meter base. Thanks
Plant Wood Fixture Gas Terrestrial plant

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Gas Handwriting Electrical supply
Plant Wood Fixture Gas Terrestrial plant

·
Registered
837 Posts
1/0 ground is big enough for a 400 amp service.
You can drill a hole in the outside panel at the bottom appropriate size, probably for a 3/4" connector (1 1/8" diameter).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1/0 ground is big enough for a 400 amp service.
You can drill a hole in the outside panel at the bottom appropriate size, probably for a 3/4" connector (1 1/8" diameter).
Does the grounding have to be separated from the neutral? This box only provides the equipment ground which is the 3 slot lug you can see which is tied into the neutral bar?

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,925 Posts
Where I live the grounding electrode would go on the AL plate in the meter section. Add a lug.

My POCO does not want the GE anywhere the customer can get to it. So they land it behind a sealed panel.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Where I live the grounding electrode would go on the AL plate in the meter section. Add a lug.

My POCO does not want the GE anywhere the customer can get to it. So they land it behind a sealed panel.
And here, the POCO will not let you ground inside the meter.

Reactions: Oso954

·
Registered
837 Posts
I cannot speak for your POCO or city, but I say the GEC goes on the main breaker section and, yes, it goes with the neutral which all of the lugs other than on the breakers are connected.

·
Master Electrician
4,706 Posts
Conductor to grounding rods does not need to be larger than #6 copper. #6 copper will fit thru the small ko at the bottom of the can. Is that SER going underground?

·
Registered
6,340 Posts
The PoCo doesn't have a say in that. They can only say what happens inside the meter can. The system grounding point is the first disconnect past the meter, which is not in the PoCo's bailiwick.

This device is rated Service Equipment Only (can't be used as a subpanel), so neutral is permanently bonded to equipment chassis. As such, you have 2 large neutral lugs and 3 smaller ground lugs. 2 of the ground lugs are for your main feeders to your 200A panels. The third ground lug is for going to your ground rods.

If they are too small for the terminals you can use Polaris connectors to pigtail to a smaller ground.

You are allowed to punch your own knockouts in enclousures, as long as they stay consistent with NEMA 3R locations for KOs. (so not above any equipment). I think I see a very small KO between the two cable entrances and the back of the panel. Big enough for GEC.

Lots of chaos in the conduit installation there. The conduits are not glued to the connectors, yet the enclosure is already mounted to the wall. So the enclosure will have to come off the wall, come up with some sleeves to protect the cables so the connectors can be glued on, (the PVC cement can damage the cables), then the enclosure threaded over the wires (better to pull the wires back if it's conduit all the way), then fit together.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts