DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The deck was originally built onto the house then bricked afterwards. Should i pull the 2x8s and replace new and screw from inside the inner seal band into the ends of the joist to secure... or cut them off flush with the brick leaving them still attatched and putting an outer ledger bolted to the inner band so that they support and keep the brick from collapsing... or use a bvlz mount... or last option cut my brand new poured concrete pad and dig a footer and have it free standing...
Water Road surface Tree Plant Window

Brown Brickwork Brick Wood Building material

Wood Brick Brickwork Building material Wall

Window Building Wood Fixture Brickwork

·
Naildriver
17,004 Posts
So only the two end bands are embedded in the brick? I would fill the holes with a good mortar to prevent water infiltration and attach the ledgers properly. You can't attach a deck directly to or through the brick veneer. See page 15 of the following link. You can't attach it to your chimney chase, either. See page 8. I'm afraid a free standing deck may be in your plans.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I understand the horizontal load between the bricks will collapse but i dont see why if i cut the joist off an 1/8 of an inch off in front of the brick and attach a ledger there will be no pressure on the brick? If that makes sense. The old joist will be sandwiched between supporting

·
retired framer
59,850 Posts
I understand the horizontal load between the bricks will collapse but i dont see why if i cut the joist off an 1/8 of an inch off in front of the brick and attach a ledger there will be no pressure on the brick? If that makes sense. The old joist will be sandwiched between supporting
So you would lag bolt into end grain. in a word NO

·
retired framer
59,850 Posts
No i would lag bolt into the house band... the joist would be sandwiched taking the horizontal load keeping the brick from collapsing
You could do that with a pipe or anything for a spacer but a single at each end would be way under what it should be and with out any house wrap in that hole I would expect some rot below that, after years of water getting in there and down.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You could do that with a pipe or anything for a spacer but a single at each end would be way under what it should be and with out any house wrap in that hole I would expect some rot below that, after years of water getting in there and down.
Im confused what you said about a single on each end... im planning on using a single ledger on each side of the fire place. Which will span about 6 feet per ledger then free stand the fire place with its own supports but also tie it into the joist next to it. Its all cinderblock in the basement its 40 yrs old and no moisture has gotten to the inner band as you can see. Thanks for everyones reply even if i dont end up doing it myself i wanna make sure its done the right way im going through the best options

·
retired framer
59,850 Posts
Im confused what you said about a single on each end... im planning on using a single ledger on each side of the fire place. Which will span about 6 feet per ledger then free stand the fire place with its own supports but also tie it into the joist next to it. Its all cinderblock in the basement its 40 yrs old and no moisture has gotten to the inner band as you can see. Thanks for everyones reply even if i dont end up doing it myself i wanna make sure its done the right way im going through the best options
It is a double in front of the fireplace hung from a double on both sides.
Slope Line Font Parallel Diagram

1 - 15 of 15 Posts