DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I'm still working on a messed up 4 way that a past electrician did who is no longer around or at least I think it is messed up. I am thinking one of you guys could spot this problem right away: I have two 4 ways between two 3 ways and it looks like this: Power goes into my 1st 3 way on black screw,R&B wires goes to a junction box. White wires are nutted together. I think the problem may be in this junction box. Does this sound correct: The black hot wire is wire nutted to a white wire marked black that goes to my 1st 4 way. The 2 red wires are wire nutted and white wire from the first 3 way is wire nutted to the white wire going to the fan. The black fan wire is wire nutted to the black wire that goes to my 1st 4 way. All of my switches looked like they were wired correctly so I am thinking it is a problem in that box where the fan, 1st 3 way and 1st 4 way wires all connect???

Thanks again for your replies and patience.

God Bless!

·
Banned
2,487 Posts
Boy, I'm not very good at following a written diagram. But I'll tell you this: the two wires that leave the 3-way should make their way to two of the screws on the first 4-way (which two depends on the brand of 4-way). The other two screws on the first 4-way need to find their way to two of the screws on the second 4-way. And the other two screws on the second 4-way need to connect to the brass colored screws on the last 3-way.

You already said the white wire from the source feeds through and connects to the load. The black screw on the last 3-way needs to connect to the black wire of whatever you are trying to control.

How all this happens is up to you since you actually know where the wires go to. All you have to do is connect them in such a way as to accomplish what I have written above. I'm kind of curious why there is a junction box in the middle of all this?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boy, I'm not very good at following a written diagram. But I'll tell you this: the two wires that leave the 3-way should make their way to two of the screws on the first 4-way (which two depends on the brand of 4-way). The other two screws on the first 4-way need to find their way to two of the screws on the second 4-way. And the other two screws on the second 4-way need to connect to the brass colored screws on the last 3-way.

You already said the white wire from the source feeds through and connects to the load. The black screw on the last 3-way needs to connect to the black wire of whatever you are trying to control.

How all this happens is up to you since you actually know where the wires go to. All you have to do is connect them in such a way as to accomplish what I have written above. I'm kind of curious why there is a junction box in the middle of all this?
Thank you so much for your help. You explained it very well. I never really understood before that the last 3 way is connected directly to the fan. I moved some wires around and it works!!! The junction box did make it more difficult to trace the wires. I'm not real sure why it was put in either.

Thanks again for everones help! This is a great web-site

1 - 3 of 3 Posts