DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

4 Gang Box Wiring / Crimping Question

548 Views 6 Replies 5 Participants Last post by  spaceman spif
Hello all,
Hope everyone had a nice Christmas.

Looking for some direction on wiring up a 4 gang (69cu) light switch box and what the best approach it make it clean would be. I was going to just add 4 pigtails to the line in for a total of 5, 14 awg per connector. Is it common to just use a red wire nut connector for 5 14 awg wires? Just wanted to make sure that it's best practice not just ok per the wire connector chart.

Devices / wires:
1) power in 14/2
2) outside lights 14/2
3) front porch 14/2
4) entry light 14/2
5) 3 way 14/3

Box calculation attaches if anyone was curious.

Rectangle Slope Line Font Parallel

Thanks!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That would be fine. I would use red 3M or Ideal wingnut brand.
Option #2 is to have 1 long pigtail and loop from switch to switch. Individual pigtails is better for dimmers with their own pigtail.
Thanks!

I have the commercial electric from HD. Should I return them and use what you suggested?

· Registered
1,410 Posts
The box of wirenuts should tell you what size wires the connector can handle. It is either on the box or on a small piece of paper in the box.

As electricians we are partial to certain wirenuts etc but I am sure the HD ones will work fine if they are rated for the number of conductors you plan to use.

· A "Handy Husband"
14,910 Posts
Plastic boxes usually have internal clamps and do not count against box fill or they have no clamps. Your box is more than ample.
Red wire nut is fine for 5 #14s

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Sheanbean

· Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Plastic boxes usually have internal clamps and do not count against box fill or they have no clamps. Your box is more than ample.
Red wire nut is fine for 5 #14s

Sent from my moto g stylus 5G using Tapatalk
Thanks!
I went on the safe side just to have to cushion in case i used a box that the tabs were not removed. They are secured within 8 inches of the box so all should be good as you say.

· Registered
832 Posts
Late to the party, but I love, love, love the Wago connectors that have the lever over wire nuts. Quicker and easier to install, and if you ever need to redo one circuit, you don't have to remove a wire nut that releases all the wires. You just remove the wire you need to replace from the Wago.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts