DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

30 year old home hardscape deteriorating fast - New to Forum

405 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Matt1963
Southern California, 30 years-old hardscaping beginning to rapidly deteriorate.
I need to know where to begin and/or which kind of contractor to call. I'm not interested in replacing the entire hardscape. Sorry if I uploaded the photos incorrectly
Road surface Grey Rectangle Tar Asphalt
Plant Road surface Asphalt Sidewalk Groundcover
Road surface Asphalt Tar Sidewalk Tints and shades
White Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Naildriver
23,302 Posts
30 years is a good run for hardscape. It looks as if there's some delamination in the one panel. Concrete won't match, but it may be possible to remove that damage and make a new pour. The cracks in photo #2 could possibly be gouged out some and a color compatible concrete sealant put in the cracks. I would leave it proud similar to the berm caulk next to it. Pretty? No, but it could keep water from compromising the area below.

The last photo's boogers could be filled with concrete patch, after drilling a couple of holes about 1/2" deep at opposing angles. The holes will help grab and keep the patching material.

· Registered
Building my last home
5,487 Posts
Might be time to consider cool deck, which can be put over concrete. The edging for the brick would be less than fun. Better than trying to remove the concrete or do much more than patch it.

· Registered
2,973 Posts
Southern California, 30 years-old hardscaping beginning to rapidly deteriorate.
I need to know where to begin and/or which kind of contractor to call. I'm not interested in replacing the entire hardscape. Sorry if I uploaded the photos incorrectly
View attachment 722288 View attachment 722289 View attachment 722290 View attachment 722291
Is this a pool deck or above ground deck? Imo this is premature for a 30 year old deck. If is a pool deck do you have a salt water filter system? That could explain the popping.

So that is a sand finish....either by mother nature or poured that way. We used to do that with acid but they came out with a better retarder solution that made that much easier and more even. Grace made it it. Comes in like 12 different degrees of retardant.

Here is what I recommend on the big area. Cut out half of that panel. Put a cut line in this panel or more so it looks like it was poured that way. The hard part is matching the sand but it can be done. I would pour regular concrete and then seed in builders sand that the same size as yours. Coat it with the special sauce and power wash the next day. Small areas could be patched and also be sprayed and cleaned.

Won't be perfect but blends pretty well. I would hire a concrete guy because that's a pretty popular finish and there is tricks you have to know. Shouldn't cost many beer tokens as it's not a whole lot of work.

Here is a picture and an article on sand finishes.

Rectangle Asphalt Road surface Line Plant

1 - 4 of 4 Posts