DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We are building a home that has a 30' ceiling in the dining area. I am trying to find out what will be the very effective lighting to install. I don't want a chandelier or any pendant. Will can lights work? Thank you!

·
JUSTA MEMBER
15,283 Posts
Nice HEADROOM.

Is there wall space enough to add perimeter rope lighting, all around the room about 12' up, in a cornice, or some crown molding?

ED

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
It sounds like it will be a sloped ceiling. Insulation and air sealing guidelines for those slopes are a challenge, worse if you are in cold country. Please give us an indication as to where you are.

Installing can lights in a sloped ceiling creates problems with insulation and air leakage. Tell us if this ceiling is ventilated or covered with LOTS of foam insulation.

As for lights, can lights at that height will be in direct view of anyone looking up and to get the amount of light needed they be uncomfortably bright. Lighting from below that illuminates the ceiling seems best to me, as de-nagorg suggested.

Bud

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice HEADROOM.

Is there wall space enough to add perimeter rope lighting, all around the room about 12' up, in a cornice, or some crown molding?

ED
I am afraid not, dining will be open from the second floor..i really want some can lights, but i don't know if that will be strong enough to light up the place..Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds like it will be a sloped ceiling. Insulation and air sealing guidelines for those slopes are a challenge, worse if you are in cold country. Please give us an indication as to where you are.

Installing can lights in a sloped ceiling creates problems with insulation and air leakage. Tell us if this ceiling is ventilated or covered with LOTS of foam insulation.

As for lights, can lights at that height will be in direct view of anyone looking up and to get the amount of light needed they be uncomfortably bright. Lighting from below that illuminates the ceiling seems best to me, as de-nagorg suggested.

Bud
It will be a flat roof.. San Diego Area...I was thinking of putting 4 floor lights shinning to the ceiling what do you think about spot light shinning on the dinning table? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,959 Posts
So snow isn't an issue for you :).
But heat is and you will want lots of insulation. Will a space above the ceiling be ventilated?

Two examples:
I installed a lot of 5,000K t-8 florescent lights on a 16' ceiling in a large shop and the light was great but did produce some complaints about looking directly at those fixtures.

Then, while visiting a local box store I looked up, ouch. They had replaced all of the ceiling lights, probably 25 to 30' up with t-6 lamps. They were very intense and left you with lingering lines across your retina like looking at the sun.

The future will give us illuminated light panels that can cover an entire wall. I saw a presentation video from Dow corning about a year ago and it was impressive. Couldn't find it but they have a lot of information.
https://www.dowcorning.com/content/lighting/

Your application is more a commercial one than residential. I would look for a lot of lower intensity lighting. The same with needing a spot light, several smaller ones aimed at the same place.

Not a lighting pro, best I can do.

Bud

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Hello! We are building a home that has a 30' ceiling in the dining area. I am trying to find out what will be the very effective lighting to install. I don't want a chandelier or any pendant. Will can lights work? Thank you!
I see a number of houses every year with some pretty high ceilings. Some of them already have recessed lights installed by the builder. The first question I get asked is "How do I change the light bulbs"? Some homeowners have mastered the extension pole for light bulb changing.

Think in terms of lighting maintenance. Servicing a light fixture 30' up can cost a lot.

Wall sconces are a nice look.

I would also plan on installing a ceiling fan as all of your heat will be going 30' up.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So snow isn't an issue for you :).
But heat is and you will want lots of insulation. Will a space above the ceiling be ventilated?

Two examples:
I installed a lot of 5,000K t-8 florescent lights on a 16' ceiling in a large shop and the light was great but did produce some complaints about looking directly at those fixtures.

Then, while visiting a local box store I looked up, ouch. They had replaced all of the ceiling lights, probably 25 to 30' up with t-6 lamps. They were very intense and left you with lingering lines across your retina like looking at the sun.

The future will give us illuminated light panels that can cover an entire wall. I saw a presentation video from Dow corning about a year ago and it was impressive. Couldn't find it but they have a lot of information.
https://www.dowcorning.com/content/lighting/

Your application is more a commercial one than residential. I would look for a lot of lower intensity lighting. The same with needing a spot light, several smaller ones aimed at the same place.

Not a lighting pro, best I can do.

Bud
Thank you!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts