DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I'm pretty new to electrical work so please bear with me. I've started a new circuit with 12/2 wire coming off a two pole 30 amp breaker to serve two 1500 watt baseboard heaters.

My question is, can I hang a junction box and run another leg of 12/2 up into my bedroom for an additional two 15 amp receptacles for a wall mounted TV and accessories?

I know that I would be drawing around 12.5 amps with the combined wattage of the heaters. Obviously a TV isn't going to draw nearly that amount.

In other words, is it possible to have to much juice running to the receptacles?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,005 Posts
You are already in trouble with your original plan because 12/2 wire is only rated for 20 A. Also, since you're using a two pole breaker I'm assuming the heaters are 240 V which means you won't have a neutral available to run receptacle from. It certainly sounds like you are well over your head on this project from the beginning and may need to have some serious electrical help on this project.

·
1,121 Posts
Extending this circuit to your bedroom will not work for a regular circuit because you will have 240 volts and no neutral.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick response. I'll switch the breaker out for a 20 amp dedicated to the heaters.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts