DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a new GE drop-in countertop cooktop and it came with a 3 wire cord, (black, red and bare). The connection it would go to is 4 wire, (black, white, red and bare). Is it possible to connect to this? The stove wire came with a warning label saying to ONLY CONNECT TO A 3 WIRE receptacle. Is it possible to change the wiring of the stove itself to a 4-wire cord? It's a GE JP346 model. Note: I live in a mobile home.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Simply do not use the white wire. Cap it with a wire nut. Your new cooktop requires only 240V, not 120/240V like most stoves, so no neutral wire is needed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sorry if I sound dumb but I can't cap the white wire because it will be used by my wall oven.

So.... if I connect the black wall wire to the black oven wire and the black stove wire, the red wall wire to the red oven wire and red stove wire, the bare wall wire to the bare oven wire and bare stove wire, and the white wall wire to the white oven wire but not stove (since there is no white stove wire).... it should all be okay, right?

·
Super Moderator
9,304 Posts
If you do not have a white wire from the cooktop, you can not connect it to the white wire from the wall.

·
Registered
1,324 Posts
Even if it specifically states to connect only to a 3 wire setup?
The 3-wire setup is for 240v, which is what you have with that cord: Black, Red, and Ground. You don't have a White wire from the cook-top to connect to anything.

·
Electrical Contractor
1,145 Posts
sorry if i sound dumb but i can't cap the white wire because it will be used by my wall oven.

So.... If i connect the black wall wire to the black oven wire and the black stove wire, the red wall wire to the red oven wire and red stove wire, the bare wall wire to the bare oven wire and bare stove wire, and the white wall wire to the white oven wire but not stove (since there is no white stove wire).... It should all be okay, right?
correct ...

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
You're trying to run both the cooktop and the oven on the same circuit? That's probably not OK.

·
E2 Electrician
5,655 Posts
You're trying to run both the cooktop and the oven on the same circuit? That's probably not OK.
Done all the time.

(3) Household Ranges and Cooking Appliances. Branch-circuit conductors supplying household ranges, wall-mounted ovens, counter-mounted cooking units, and other household cooking appliances shall have an ampacity not less than the rating of the branch circuit and not less than the maximum load to be served. For ranges of 8¾ kW or more rating, the minimum branch-circuit rating shall be 40 amperes.
Exception No. 1:  Conductors tapped from a 50-ampere branch circuit supplying electric ranges, wall-mounted electric ovens, and counter-mounted electric cooking units shall have an ampacity of not less than 20 amperes and shall be sufficient for the load to be served. These tap conductors include any conductors that are a part of the leads supplied with the appliance that are smaller than the branch-circuit conductors. The taps shall not be longer than necessary for servicing the appliance.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
I thought most of the appliances specified maximum OCPD that is not much more than the load. The oven and cooktop would both have to be listed for a 50A breaker.

Reactions: MTN REMODEL LLC

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,927 Posts
I thought most of the appliances specified maximum OCPD that is not much more than the load. The oven and cooktop would both have to be listed for a 50A breaker.
I've never seen a cooking appliance spec the maximum overload device, just the Kw rating of the appliance.
Shoot... I learn alot here, but I'm really confused here.

Why would you not have an over loaded circut here with two 8kw appliances.... and both likely to be running at the same time....:huh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts