DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help

I'm rewiring a stair case 3-way switch. In my haste I ran power to the wrong switch--at least for what i'm used to.

I have a set up like S1---S2---Light

Power goes to the S2 switch, which would then essentially T to go to the other switch, and also to the light. Will this work? Originally S1 went to the light, but that was changed because that light is now in a separate room (new partition installed) but i wasn't thinking when i cut the wires...

Please let me know if I have to rewire the power--it's possible , but really difficult. If it can work the way i have it wired, can you provide a schematic? I can't find any examples of this situation, i think either becuase it doesn't work, or because it's a bone headed way to do it (guilty of that)

Thanks

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
You have 3-wire (ie 14/3 w/ gnd) cable run between S1 & S2? As long as you have power coming in, a 3-wire between the switches, and a 2-wire going from the light to one of the switches, we can get it to work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You have 3-wire (ie 14/3 w/ gnd) cable run between S1 & S2? As long as you have power coming in, a 3-wire between the switches, and a 2-wire going from the light to one of the switches, we can get it to work.
yes, there is 14-2 power comes into box with S2. From there, 14-3 from S2 to S1 and 14-2 from S2 to Light.

thanks!

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
A crude drawing but....

The white (neutral) from the source goes directly to the load.
The black (hot) from the source goes to the common terminal of one of the switches.
The black of the load goes to the common terminal of the other switch.
The travelers get hooked up to the traveler terminals.

Re-color the white of the 14/3, a black sharpie works well.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aecrude drawing but....

The white (neutral) from the source goes directly to the load.
The black (hot) from the source goes to the common terminal of one of the switches.
The black of the load goes to the common terminal of the other switch.
The travelers get hooked up to the traveler terminals.

Re-color the white of the 14/3, a black sharpie works well.

I will try that! i was looking at the picture for a while thinking the schematic meant i needed to run a new wire from the S1 to the light to get that hot wire, but I just realized i'm supposed to use the black in the 14-3, and that the connection hot wire from the light will happen inside the box where S2 is located. No new run needed.

Nice. Thanks. Will try in the morning!

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
Correct.

Sorry, I stink as an artist. I should have put a border around the switches, showing it was the sw box.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts