DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I looked for a similar case to mine and I couldn't seem to find it, so here goes.

My 3 way switch setup is: power goes into light, 14-2 wire to switch#1 then 14-3 wire to switch 2. Well in my wisdon I decided to move switch 1 without taking a picture. Well now my light only comes on if BOTH switches are in the on position. Currently I have black from light going to common on switch 1, wire nut the whites, pigtailed the ground, and have a red and black from the 14-3 (from between the switches) on the travelers.

It worked before, I replaced one switch.

I am going crazy any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

:wallbash:

Also yes when I moved the switch I extended the wires by wire nutting all the like wires together (black to black etc.) I doubt this is the problem.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Hey guys I looked for a similar case to mine and I couldn't seem to find it, so here goes.

My 3 way switch setup is: power goes into light, 14-2 wire to switch#1 then 14-3 wire to switch 2. Well in my wisdon I decided to move switch 1 without taking a picture. Well now my light only comes on if BOTH switches are in the on position. Currently I have black from light going to common on switch 1, wire nut the whites, pigtailed the ground, and have a red and black from the 14-3 (from between the switches) on the travelers.

It worked before, I replaced one switch.

I am going crazy any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

:wallbash:

Also yes when I moved the switch I extended the wires by wire nutting all the like wires together (black to black etc.) I doubt this is the problem.
This will be an easy fix. When you say black from light is connected to the common of sw#1 do you mean its connected to the light black (switched hot) or to the black for incoming power (constant hot) at the light fixture. I'm asking this to find the switched hot wire at switch box 1.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
switch

I mean the black wire from the light(ceiling fan) is going to the common screw. I also thought this should be an easy fix, but it is giving me a headache. :help:

·
Super Moderator
21,342 Posts
From your description the white should be on the common of the second switch.
Be sure you are identifying the common properly. Don't go by position as that can change between brands of switches. The common is the black screw or sometime it is marked common.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Your travelers are reversed at one of the switches.

The common is wrong on one of the switches.

From what I have read the travelers are interchangable between the two traveler screws. Is this not true?

Also I only took off the one switch, and it is the first one after the power/light, so doesn't one of the wires coming from that light have to be the common?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
From your description the white should be on the common of the second switch.
Be sure you are identifying the common properly. Don't go by position as that can change between brands of switches. The common is the black screw or sometime it is marked common.

Yes I am aware of the fact the common is the black screw (as opposed to the two brass screws and green ground screw) I know i shouldn't be having this much trouble.

Thanks for your reply!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The load (black) in the light box should be hooked to the common in switch #1. The white should go to the black light wire.

·
Registered
47 Posts
The wiring of 3-way switches isn't that complicated & you seem to understand it -- so maybe you just got a bad switch. Got a continuity tester? Test both switches.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
It makes no difference on the travelers as long as they are not connected to the common screw.
If the black of the cable going to switch box #1 is connected to the ceiling fan black for the fan and then the other end is landed on the common of switch 1 then the white is bringing constant power to switch box #1. You say you connected the whites together in switch box#1 this is where you went wrong. Look at switch box #2 and see what wire is connected to its common. It is going to probably be the black but no matter it will be either the red or black, The white of the 14/3 was a traveler and you connected it to the constant hot (white) coming from the fan box. Check switch box#2 and wire as below diagram shows.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It makes no difference on the travelers as long as they are not connected to the common screw.
If the black of the cable going to switch box #1 is connected to the ceiling fan black for the fan and then the other end is landed on the common of switch 1 then the white is bringing constant power to switch box #1. You say you connected the whites together in switch box#1 this is where you went wrong. Look at switch box #2 and see what wire is connected to its common. It is going to probably be the black but no matter it will be either the red or black, The white of the 14/3 was a traveler and you connected it to the constant hot (white) coming from the fan box. Check switch box#2 and wire as below diagram shows.
Am i reading your diagram correctly? Instead of putting the whites together I should have put the black and white together?

I really appreciate your guys help.

·
UAW SKILLED TRADES
5,341 Posts
Am i reading your diagram correctly? Instead of putting the whites together I should have put the black and white together?

I really appreciate your guys help.
Yep, assuming you understand how power enters your 3 way switch setup. There isn't a neutral in the switch box you don't need one so the white is used as a hot wire bringing power from the power cable in the ceiling fan box to the first switch box. It should be marked black (often it isn't) at both ends to alert you to this. Simply take a look at the second switch and see what wire in the 14/3 is connected to the dark colored screw...go back to switch one and take that wire off the traveler screw (its wrong) and connect it to the white coming from the ceiling fan box. Then take the white in the 14/3 and connect it to the traveler screw. In the diagram the white in the 14/3 is connected as a traveler.. you connected it as a constant hot (which was incorrect) so either the black or red was used to take constant (unswitched) power to the second switch not the white of the 14/3. So just switch the wires on switch 1 and your good to go. Do not remove the black from the common of switch one leave it alone it is your switched power to the ceiling fan.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Issue of using right terminology

From what I have read the travelers are interchangable between the two traveler screws. Is this not true?

Also I only took off the one switch, and it is the first one after the power/light, so doesn't one of the wires coming from that light have to be the common?

Thanks for the help!
Let me put in my Two Cents! First we should identify the parts and positions. In general. The (incoming) power goes to the COMMON, or Black terminal of SWITCH #1; The BLACK wire of the LAMP goes on the COMMON terminal of Switch #2; The TRAVELERS can go on either of the light (colored) terminals of the SWITCH; You're right. They're interchangeable. The only difference is, the position of the SWITCHES (I don't think anybody is that particular). The principle of operation of a 3-way switch is, that the power should be able to be fed through either of the travelers and the light should be able to receive power from either one of them! (No matter what) :yes::no::drink:Don't Drink and Drive!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You guys rock! That makes sense to me I guess I wasn't aware of how white wasn't a neutral. I will try to do this tonight and report my success (hopefully) :thumbsup:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I GOT IT TO WORK!!! You guys were right instead of tieing together the whites, I needed to take the white from the light and connect it to the black from switch 2. I just want to thank everyone here for thier help, I couldn't have done it without you. Hopefuly one day I can return the favor.

:rockon::clap:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts