DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a similar 3-way switch problem as the one reported recently by Blade_316. There are 2 3-way switches, but there is only 1 combination of the 2 switches where the light is on. In one switch 1 I’ve got:
Red - common
White - travelers
Black - travelers
In the switch 2 I’ve got:
White - common
Red – travelers
White – travelers
2 Blacks tied together

I'm thinking that if I reverse the red and white wires in switch-1, that it might work (ie. connect white to common, and make the red a traveler). Can anyone confirm that? Also, if I screw this up, can I short something out (or worse!!)?? Thanks very much.

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
Looks like maybe you have switch loop like this drawing. two black together makes me think the black at the first swtich should be the common.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Joed. I think your diagram is supposed to be what you think
I currently have, correct? (and not the 'correction'). I'm not sure,
because in switch 2 in your diagram (switch 1 in my original message),
I have a red wire currently connected to the common terminal of that switch (and you show a black connected to the common).

I'm going to probe some voltages tomorrow, and will append a new message with those. Thanks again.

·
Super Moderator
22,060 Posts
The colours may not be the same. You have to note which wire is connected to the common of the switch and make sure it is connected to the proper matching wire at the other end. You could have the red and the black swapped between the switches in your setup.

The key to the setup is that the two wires from the fixture need to be connected to the common terminals.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Joed,
I made the black 'common' in the first switch, and that corrected
the problem!! The two switches now work properly as 3-way switches.

Thanks very much! Happy New Year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts