DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I'd like to wire new 6 recessed lights (Halo 4" H99ICAT) to two existing 3-way switches in a kitchen remodel. I'd prefer not pulling new cable to the switches if possible. My house is one story with access to the attic which is insulated with battens.

Current Setup
I currently have 14/3 from both switches to one surface mount incandescent (image below with bare bulb).

Proposed New Setup
I plan to remove the current light fixture and replace it with a pass-through junction box large enough for 6 conductors (image below showing junction bow).

From the box I would then parallel the six fixtures (image below with three lights).

My Dilemma & Question
I've looked at a lot of 3-way switch wiring diagrams and haven't found any showing this configuration. The most common show 14/3 between the switches and 14/2 from the second switch to the lights, or 2 sections of 14/2 between the lights with one for the travelers.

Is there a reason I should not wire the lights in parallel from a junction box as proposed?

Thanks,
JT

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
22,022 Posts
It does not matter at all what configuration you have. If you simply tie into the two wires connecting to the existing light fixture then you will be fine. Do not make any changes to any of the other wire connections and it will work as it did before.

If you want to see more 3 way wiring configurations check out this page.

http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/switch-outlet/3-way/index.php

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response joed. Yes, I'm aiming to make the least amount of changes to the existing wiring as possible.

·
Super Moderator
14,719 Posts
You only need to extend from the fixture wiring. Leave everything else alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts