DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question for those who can help:

Was attempting to upgrade my LR lighting with 6 LED recessed lights.

Assumed I could just steal power from one of the switches; by dropping a line to a switch from the attic and wiring up my LED's without an issue. Currently, three switches control half of an outlet- which had a small lamp plugged in. I've pulled two of the switch covers only to discover they're run with 4 wires... Similar to the picture below, but wired to the lower portion of an outlet instead of an actual overhead light.

My question is: if possible, what is the most reasonable way to pull power from and make use of the three switches to also control 6 additional LED lights?

I attempted connecting the light temporarily at two of the outlets, but appeared to be backfeeding the LED. Where it would work with the switches in the off position and be dimmed with the power on. Lmk what you all think...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was worried that would be the answer.

So the only place to pull power from is the outlet itself... Going to pull the cover now, but thinking that box is going to be awfully crowded.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Connected directly and seems good to go. In terms of running the cable, do you guys have any tips for making this part as painless as possible?

I'll be going from the LED lights in my attic/LR ceiling down to this outlet and doubt the cable will drop precisely to this box.

·
IBEW electrician
14 Posts
Cut power, Use 2 fish sticks, (buy cheap ones from harbor freight) and push them into the top hole of box up into the attic. More than likely you'll have to drill a hole in the top plate of the wall and then fish around to push your sticks out the hole to attic. Tape wire onto sticks and pull down into box. jumping from light to light should be simple in terms of being in the attic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.