DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 3 lighting banks on 3 switches, fed from 1 circuit. light bank #1 consists of 2 pot lights, #2 a ceiling fan, and #3 3 pot lights. I don't need them to be 3 or 4 way switched. but I am stumped on how to feed them to make them work.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
So what are you trying to do? Your posting doesn't give us much to work with. Are you wiring new circuits or are you redoing old circuits. Why did you mention 3 and 4 way switches?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have gutted my cottage and rewired it to bring it up to code. all walls are open and all power and lighting circuits and breakers are new. I mentioned 3 and 4 way switching because the location of the lights looks like that might be logical but I just want each bank switched separately but from 1 circuit but all 3 are independent. Does that help? thanks for replying to my post.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have bank #1 with the 2 pot lights and bank 2 with the ceiling fan in 1-2 gang box and across the room I have the switch for the 3 pot lights. power feed comes into box 1 with the 2 switches and then out to the box across the room.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Switch box #2 - You should have a cable coming from the lite to the switch. Connect the two whites together and connect one black to each switch screw.

Switch box #1 - connect the whites together like above and connect the black from each light to a screw on each switch. For power you will have add two pigtails to the black power feed and then connect one to each switch.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think its more complicated than that. Box 1 has 4 cables, 1- power in, 1 power out to box 2, lights in and fan in. box 2 has power in from box 1 and lights in. So I have lots of neutrals, grounds and hots in box 1.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
My description covers what you are telling me. In box 1 you will have four white wires under one wire nut, four blacks under a wire nut (two wires and two pigtails).

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
Are you using plastic boxes? If so, the cubic inches is molded into the box, usually on the inside back. If plastic, what is the cu in of the two gang switch box?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
the cottage is 50 miles away and I won't be getting back up there until saturday. I'll take a look then. I called for rough inspection for today or tomorrow and it will be interesting to see what the inspector writes up about this installation.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts