DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a meter, 200A breaker, and a main lug with feeder over current protection all at a utility pole. I want to run an underground feeder from there to a house load center, outdoor and with a main breaker. Can I run 3 wires from the main lug circuit breaker to the load center and then bond neutral and ground at the load center, i.e., at the house? Or do I have to run neutral and ground all the way to the main lug and bond there? The underground feeder is about 200 feet long.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,333 Posts
Since your first disconnect is at the pole you need to run 4 wires to the building and keep neutrals and grounds separate. You also need ground rods at the building.

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
3-wire is only permitted if this is a mobile home setup.

·
Registered
57 Posts
3-wire main

Even though there are some AHJ's that permit 3-wire for residential, 4-wire in this case would be required to meet NEC and IRC rules. Check with the electrical inspector first. :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
An electrical inpsection is not required in rural location that I will be doing this work. No permit is required. If a 3 wire feeder is safe, I guess I'd go that way. The house is more of a cabin, only 4 120v circuits and I might run a well pump from the load center.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
It’s amazing that people will count the cost of a 4th wire, but won’t count the cost of a life saved.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, sounds like 4 wire from utility pole with fist disconnect to house. Would this also apply to a feeder I would run from the utility pole to a barn, i.e., is there any difference between the the house and the barn.

To answer a couple posts above, I replaced the service when I bought the property. There's an old house, barely electrified, that will eventually be torn down to make way for a new house--but for now I'm using it as a cabin. The reason I put a main lug on the utility pole is to run multiple feeders--at least to house and barn.

Since there's no permitting or inspection, I have no inspector to ask as was suggested. The AHJ, as far as I know, is the utility company and they don't care/won't advise anything after the meter.

As to another post, I think I was explicit about wanting to have a safe installation, I don't understand why you blasted me for not caring about safety and only wanting to save a buck. Here's my news to you: if you can't tolerate a noob asking how to do something right, a DIY chatroom is the wrong place for you.

·
I=E/R
2,052 Posts
OK, sounds like 4 wire from utility pole with fist disconnect to house. Would this also apply to a feeder I would run from the utility pole to a barn, i.e., is there any difference between the the house and the barn.
The house and the barn will be wired the same. Four wire feeds and each site will need a grounding electrode system - two rods or a UFER.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,333 Posts
The reason I put a main lug on the utility pole is to run multiple feeders--at least to house and barn.

Ypu will need a separate OCPD (circuit breaker) at the pole for each set of feeders. The OCPD is sized based of the feeder size.

·
Registered
57 Posts
well system

An electrical inpsection is not required in rural location that I will be doing this work. No permit is required. If a 3 wire feeder is safe, I guess I'd go that way. The house is more of a cabin, only 4 120v circuits and I might run a well pump from the load center.
Believer, Interesting that you are planning to use plc/multiplex looping for monitoring your well operation? (by CPU) Or are you? Just curious.

FYI: Depending on the type of pump setup, (Grundfos is popular with DC standalone systems), but if you are running 240Vac, a 2-wire 4" pump will be a lot less costly and easier to control with pressure auto switch at storage tank. A 2-wire w/gnd 240V feeder from the pole on a separate OCPD is all that would be necessary to the well head. (If a cap controller is used, then a control box at the well head will be needed for a 3-wire drop.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts