DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've looked around a good bit to find this answer, but not really anything that fits this scenario.

Currently building a media room. Had to buy a new ceiling fan that is flush mount to make room for projector line of sight, which is also ceiling mounted. But had to remove the ceiling fan light. Instead I will have three 5-foot tall Asian style lamps around the room for ambient lighting when needed. I would like for these to be controlled by a light switch near the entrance to the room. Since 2 of the outlets these lamps plug into also share power with the subwoofers for the room, I thought half hot outlets would make sense.

So the power is sourced at the outlets and they are daisy chained around the room. So the 3 outlets that I want half hot and switched do have other outlets in between that would not be half hot or switched. It's all 14/2 wire and a 15 amp circuit.

In my head I would run 14/3 wire from the switch to each of the 3 outlets, doing a switch loop at each outlet, breaking the hot tab on each, and congregating all 3 wires into a common pool at the switch. Something like this....

See attached - Drew this in paintbrush in the same style that I see a bunch of other diagrams in google search...

Is this how this should work? I'm ok with electrical stuff, but I like to figure things out and spend time on it in my head before I dive in. I would like some concurrence on the solution though...or a better way. That is always helpful.

Thanks for your time.

Jason

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
20,947 Posts
Remove the two right '2 wire cables'.

One 14/3 between the receptacles is all you need. Use the red wire on the receptacle 1/2s you want switched and the black on the unswitched ones.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I believe that what you have proposed is much more complex than is necessary.
Remove the two right '2 wire cables'.

One 14/3 between the receptacles is all you need. Use the red wire on the receptacle 1/2s you want switched and the black on the unswitched ones.
As joed said!

Below is a simplified diagram of what is required (Grounds, connectors and pigtails have been omitted for clarity.)
Three half switched receptacles are shown with a non-switched pair of receptacles between each pair of half switched receptacles.

"One 14/3 between the receptacles is all you need" plus one 14/2 from one (any) receptacle to the switch.
Half-hot001.jpg

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh thanks so much for responding. Yes that is much easier. I would definitely do that if I were running it brand new. I feel I left out a key component. The 14/2 wire between all the outlets is existing. So I was looking for something new I could add to make 3 of the outlets half hot without running all new wire to all of the outlets. There are about 8 outlets around the room but only 3 of them need to be half hot switched.

Due to their location, it is actually less wire to run it directly to each of the 3 versus around the entire room hitting each outlet. One of the 3 switched ones is at the end of the existing 14/2 run, but coincidently very close to the where the switch would be.

Updated the diagram to show what is existing and what would be new...

Thanks

Jason

Attachments

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Leaving the existing wiring and breaking the "hot" tabs where required, you really need only one conductor to the switch (from the Line connection at any non-switched half receptacle) and one conductor from the switch to the other (switched) half receptacle - and then on to the other two switched half receptacles.

You would need only to run 14/2 cable. (The "Neutral" conductor in this new cable to the latter two receptacles is not needed and should be "capped" appropriately.)
Half-hot002.jpg

1 - 6 of 6 Posts