DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am vaguely familiar with AC/DC circuits. But I am not sure what I need or how to acchieve my newest idea.

I have RGB's on my motorcycle and I want to wire them for accent lighting and use them as turn signals.

I plan on using a toggle switch to go back and forth between the 2 setups.

For the turn signal it seems simple. I will wire the factory turn signal lead into one side of the toggle. When on it will supply 12V to all 3 RGB leads with the correct size resisters to create an amber glow.

The secondary is where I need help.

When switched on I need 3 separate circuits to go from open to closed. These 3 circuits are from an RGB RF controller. There is one lead for each of the red, green, and blue.

I have considered some kind of relay, but I am not familiar with anything like this. Thanks

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I have found these relays http://www.omron-ap.co.th/product_info/LY/index.asp

Not sure if one of these is what I need and if one will work which one. I am not sure how to read the schematics.

I have posted an image of what I am looking for. I am not an engineer by any means. I drew this up in paint and it actually shows 4 needed circuits not 3.

Here is a relay that looks like it would work, but I would not know what the extra posts are for or which ones to use.

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
13 & 14 are the coil terminals. 1/9, 2/10, 3/11, 4/12 are normally closed. 5/9, 6/10, 7/11, 8/12 are normally open, will close when power is supplied to 13/14.

If you want the lights on when power is supplied to the coil, use 5/9, 6/10, 7/11, or 8/12.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
13 & 14 are the coil terminals. 1/9, 2/10, 3/11, 4/12 are normally closed. 5/9, 6/10, 7/11, 8/12 are normally open, will close when power is supplied to 13/14.

If you want the lights on when power is supplied to the coil, use 5/9, 6/10, 7/11, or 8/12.
Thanks for spelling this out for me. This was exactly the information I needed!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can you help me out again and let me know the difference in the power needs in these 2 relays? Thanks in advance

·
Master Electrician
1,453 Posts
If you have one, or if they’re cheap, try one. Maybe hooked it up on the bench and test it before you actually put it on the bike. Make sure things work the way you want them to.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts