DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
say what? The discussion/debate is about providing adequate Service" versus ignoring the obvious by playing "gotcha" with the code. An 1875 hair dryer draws 15.625 amps at 120 volts and 16,304 amps at the more nominal 115 volts. Curling iron amperage, at least the one here, is really negligible at about .1666 amps.
First, 1875 watts is the rating at 125 volts, the max voltage within nominal bandwidth. 1875 watts is mentioned for marketing purposes.

Second, at 120 volts ohms law says its 14.4 amps, not 16.304 amps.

Playing "gotcha" with the code is not what the forum is about and insulting others because their view of the code doesn't conform to yours really does turn everything into a "p*ssing contest" which isn't really what this is all about.

Your understanding of electrical theory is incorrect (as seen above) and you refuse to admit you misinterpreted code... those speak in-itself.

As I wrote, the code is based on minimums. "Best practices" are based on quality and usefulness. Three bathrooms on one circuit is possibly code, but it isn't quality and it is minimally useful.

'nuff said?

Yes, after you were proven wrong. What will your excuse be for those 16,304 amps?

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
Well done. I don't believe I've ever seen a hair dryer with other than a 5-15p (actually, 1-15p) meaning 12 amps is the max

OHHHHH! MY mistake :oops:Yes, you are correct, that would be a 1-15P.

And (not directing it at you) unlike others, I am not afraid to admit when I make a mistake, misinterpret something or am fault out wrong.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
I can only assume a hairdryer marketed as 1875W is not actually 1875W, or they are claiming 1875W at a much higher voltage.

Thats what they do, 1875 watts at 125 volts. So if you plug it into a wall outlet at the high end of the spectrum it will pull 15 amps.

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Three bathrooms on one circuit is possibly code, but it isn't quality and it is minimally useful.

'nuff said?
You say you know code but say that 3 bathrooms on one circuit are possibly to code. Possibly? it is absolutely to code if it serves only receptacle loads.

Is it the best design? Probably not, but code complaint none the less. I will post this from the NEC.

90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is
the practical safeguarding of persons and property from
hazards arising from the use of electricity.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate for good service or future expansion of
electrical use.

FPN: Hazards often occur because of overloading of wiring
systems by methods or usage not in conformity with
this Code. This occurs because initial wiring did not provide
for increases in the use of electricity. An initial adequate
installation and reasonable provisions for system
changes will provide for future increases in the use of
electricity.
(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or instruction manual for untrained persons.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts
You say you know code but say that 3 bathrooms on one circuit are possibly to code. Possibly? it is absolutely to code if it serves only receptacle loads.

Is it the best design? Probably not, but code complaint none the less. I will post this from the NEC.

90.1 Purpose.
(A) Practical Safeguarding. The purpose of this Code is
the practical safeguarding of persons and property from
hazards arising from the use of electricity.
(B) Adequacy. This Code contains provisions that are considered
necessary for safety. Compliance therewith and
proper maintenance will result in an installation that is essentially
free from hazard but not necessarily efficient, convenient,
or adequate for good service or future expansion of
electrical use.

FPN: Hazards often occur because of overloading of wiring
systems by methods or usage not in conformity with
this Code. This occurs because initial wiring did not provide
for increases in the use of electricity. An initial adequate
installation and reasonable provisions for system
changes will provide for future increases in the use of
electricity.
(C) Intention. This Code is not intended as a design specification or instruction manual for untrained persons.

And as usual when confronted they bail only to come back in another thread saying the same thing :no:

·
Registered
140 Posts
So according to code I can have three bathrooms with 2 duplex receptacles in each on one 20a GFCI circuit, but I can't have one bathroom with one duplex receptacle tied in to one more receptacle in an adjacent room on the same 20a GFCI circuit as that one bathroom?
I'm not denying what you're saying, just wondering if anyone else here thinks that the powers that be who write the code maybe screwed up there?

·
Licensed electrician
13,405 Posts
Your understanding is correct samjg.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts