DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I just use 2&6 t&g as my only and final floor layer? Span will be 20' and joist is 4x12's 24" oc.
My wife has allergies to the glue in all the manufactured wood.
I will put a final finish on the boards after. Likely use Doug fir.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So just regular floor nailing will do. Can I put construction adhesive on the joists under the t&g to help out for any squeaks that may develop? What would be the best way to finish the top of a soft wood like pine?

·
Super Moderator
12,627 Posts
I know a couple of builders that did that for awhile. Looked ok till things dried out, gaps opened up and filled up with grime. Then there’s the occasional knots falling out.

·
Pro Flooring Installer
7,922 Posts
Pine is so soft, no matter what you do it will dent and scrape all over.

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
Bud and Rusty---What up with the disclaimer? Let us mods know what's going on.--Mike---

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you don't want manufacturered wood with the glue and yellow pine with gaps, knots and scratches then i would put a 1 inch t&g on the joist and enclose the house and get to live in conditions for two weeks for acclimation, and do moisture testing, then you can put any hardwood over top.( the second layer has to go in the opposite direction as the first)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Florpro, that's not a bad idea. Except sounds like allot of t&g. I am in Alberta Canada. It's fairly dry up here. Nose bleed dry in the winter. If I use really good and dry Douglas fir, which is tight grain with very little knots I might be ok. I just need to get it dry. I really don't know, and have no experience with this. So thanks for the ideas.

·
Tileguy
10,705 Posts
We are talking about the many ads with links to advertisers that appear just after our comments but before our signature-line (within our comments) as if we were responsible for the ads and we were endorsing those advertisers.

The ads cannot be seen by the person that made the post but can be seen by others that view the the post.

·
Premium Member
1,263 Posts
The ads are there for guests and not for members. That's why some can see them and others can't. If you're logged in you wont see them. These ads have been there for years.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts