DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the deck at my parents house and they currently have deck 14' wide by 7' deep constructed from 2x6 joists at 16" o.c.. They want to extend it to 18' wide and 10' deep. I plan on using 2x8 joists @ 12" o.c., but my question is can I keep the 2X6 ledger, attach it appropriately with lags and then use top flange hangers to hang the joists off of it? The only reason I ask this is because the 2X6 is perfectly flashed and it would not require me to cut or remove any siding.

No permit/inspection , but I would like it to be totally safe and meet code. I know 2x6 joists to not meet IRC but I did not see any notes about ledges.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just check the simpson catalog, and there are only (2) top flange hangers with 1-1/2" top flanges, the JB which provides ZERO uplift and the LB which provides 290lbs uplift, I am not sure if only 290lb uplift is adequate. I wanted to cantiliver the deck joists over the support beam, but with only 290 uplift, I dont think that is a good idea..

Any input?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
general rule of thumb is 2'-0" cantilever needs 8'-0" of deck. So a 2'-0" cantilever needs a minimum of a 10'-0" deck. I wouldn't rely on a joist hanger to hold the deck down from a huge cantilever.

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
that one says 2x6 still not allowed and looks like the ledger has to be the same size as the joists..

Gotcha!

This one is flashed very well and the siding is cut perfectly around the ledger. I would have to remove the old ledger because it got pretty beat up removing all the nails in it so my plan was to install all the hangers prior to installing the ledger to the house. That WAS my plan, not sure if it was a good one or not haha

·
11,730 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
If it were me and i was doing it i would do the whole thing right and not worry about it , and get permits too so just in case the inspecter does swing by one day

1 - 10 of 10 Posts