DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm bumping out the kitchen and plan to cathedral the ceiling. I need the 2x12s to stuff as much insulation in as possible but the main roof uses 2x6 rafters. How do I do this?

·
Banned
17,158 Posts
You could cut the 2x12 to where the tails are 2x6, but I would check with an engineer first, same with an architect, due to you may have to have plans in order to get a permit for this work, since it is change structure.

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll be drawing up the plans so no architect or engineer will be involved. I'm not sure I like the idea of ripping the ends of the 2x12s for the tails. Seems like that would be a good spot for the rafter to split.
This has to be fairly common as I've never seen 2x12 tails.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
I'll be drawing up the plans so no architect or engineer will be involved. I'm not sure I like the idea of ripping the ends of the 2x12s for the tails. Seems like that would be a good spot for the rafter to split.
This has to be fairly common as I've never seen 2x12 tails.
You can rip the 2x12 tails at 5-1/2" to match a 2x6. I have done this a million times. It does nothing to harm the 2x12. It changes the birdsmouth where it locks into the outside of the top plate. You will see. Draw out the birdsmouth and then the overhang with the 5-1/2" rip.

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Does this look about right?
In this case the sheathing would run above the top-plate until it meats the bottom edge of the tail.

Edit: 2nd image attached
Or would it drop the rafter so that the bottom edge of the rafter drops below the top plate?

Attachments

·
Too Old
345 Posts
I would not cut the 2x12 like the 2nd picture, do the framing like the 1st picture and have the 2x12 sit on top of the wall.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I agree with Havalife, the second picture is a weakened rafter and you will lose some head room in your ceiling if running a vault. But if you are installing ceiling joist you will have to cut a level cut on all of the rafter that sits below the upper plate line. Why can't you just run the 2X12 over hang without ripping down to a 2X6, just cut for a fascia and soffit like you would a 2X10, 2X8, or 2X6 tail.

·
I have gas!
2,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yes, I agree... I don't know what I was thinking with that second pic.
The existing overhangs on the main roof are exposed rafter tails built with 2x6s. I want to match that. The ceiling will be cathedraled in that portion of the kitchen so that I can add some windows in the roof. No ceiling joists.
I'll be adding a ledger to the side of the house to hang this roof of.

·
Framing Contractor
1,758 Posts
The existing overhangs on the main roof are exposed rafter tails built with 2x6s. I want to match that. The ceiling will be cathedraled in that portion of the kitchen so that I can add some windows in the roof. No ceiling joists.
First picture you have to do and you will need hurricane ties.

·
Super Moderator
13,841 Posts
I understand now, thanks for explaining. You got it going your way now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts