DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I sistered a joist that was notched and had a little rot. I went the full span wich is 12 foot joist. They are 2x10. It goes from beam to ledger/rim joist. I had to notch about 3/8 on the beam end to get it to squeeze in there. The other side on the ledger fit pretty snug. On the ledger end, I noticed it sticks up a bit higher than the old joist but still fits. Then I notuced underneath that the new joist seems just a bit taller and measured and it seems to be a 1/4 inch taller. Is this normal? Would this be a problem? My thought is to either plane down at the ledger end to match it up, or take it out and notch the ledger end as well, making it even. Any advice is appreciated thanks. I have pics if needed

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Left long enough it will likely shrink down to the same but not as fast as you would like.

I would just rip the whole length down to one size, it doesn't have to be full height and better if it just out of the way. I would take 1/2" off the top edge,..

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I figured it might shrink over time but need it now. I'm thinking of just notching it at that end to make it level, I dont mind that underneath it sits a little down beyond the original joist. Was a pain to get up in there.

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Yeah I figured it might shrink over time but need it now. I'm thinking of just notching it at that end to make it level, I dont mind that underneath it sits a little down beyond the original joist. Was a pain to get up in there.
Our engineers fail any notch like that. They prefer a slightly smaller new joist.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really? I was searching and thought it was ok to notch a certain amount but forget how much it was but I know I was def withing spec. I'm thinking maybe I need to just replace it with new, since also I recently saw a hairline crack about halfway down the whole joist. May just end up ripping a new one then.

·
retired framer
44,484 Posts
Really? I was searching and thought it was ok to notch a certain amount but forget how much it was but I know I was def withing spec. I'm thinking maybe I need to just replace it with new, since also I recently saw a hairline crack about halfway down the whole joist. May just end up ripping a new one then.
I have seen that on the net but not in real life here.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Where I live, engineers wouldn't care about a small notch like that. Might be a different story if you are in a seismically active area. That looks like a southern yellow pine joist. SYP is very strong, similar to douglas fir, but it isn't very stable dimensionally, so it's not at all unusual to see a lot of variation in the width, even in the same board. I wouldn't worry about a little split. That's pretty common .

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes its southern yellow, think it would be fine to just notch the other end where it sits higher on the ledger? Going back and forth on just replaci,g it, thwyre cheap enough, just the time getting it in is limited

1 - 10 of 10 Posts