DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 5W x 6L closet that I am going to make into a laundry. I can get drain and water their easily.

What I am worried about is the vibrations of a front loader hurting the structure of my house or cause damage to rooms below. There is 3/4 plywood as the subfloor.

Would anti vibration pads or feet be sufficient or do I need to add another layer of plywood plus pads?

I will be making the floor Tile and have drain in the floor incase of water leaking or machine failure.

How do I keep the high frequency vibrations from hurting the rest of the house?

my front loader that I have not doesn't walk or move when it runs. I had it on a first floor before we moved at never had problems. The first floor had a tile floor with 3/4 plywood subfloor. No joist reenforcement.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,046 Posts
There is nothing structural that would be damaged by the machine vibration. You shouldn't worry about popping sheetrock nails. They do that by themselves, and they are easy repairs.

I am not clear on the condition of your tile floors, but I would lay down another 3/4 ply floor, glue and screw, and treat the whole room as a shower floor (anti leak membrane), before using it as a laundry.

Stiffening is for tile or grout because of extra weight of the machines, and membrane is extra insurance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't installed the tile floor yet. My plan was to put down 3/4 hardi board on tip of the existing plywood. Put the paint on liquid water proof and tile. Do you think I need an additional 3/4 plywood?

·
Retired Moderator
25,769 Posts
1/4" Durrock or Hardi is all you need--that product has no structural value---

If you are concerned about the sub floor strength---add an additional layer of BC plywood--1/2" should be sufficient.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice.

I am not that concerned with nail pops, as they are already poping (1993 house). I like to replace the pops with screws anyway.

You think I should be concerned with the seems?

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts