DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm changing a light fixture in my kitchen, and while testing voltages to make sure power was off, I found I was getting 24 volts AC in the box while my switch was turned off. Switch on is 120.

Is it possible my switch is failing and letting some voltage through?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
9,095 Posts
Are you testing with a meter?
Chances are it is phantom voltage.
Turn the breaker off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes multi-meter. I'm not worried about getting electrocuted I'm worried about faulty wiring or failing components. Don't want to damage the new fixture either.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,468 Posts
Yes multi-meter. I'm not worried about getting electrocuted I'm worried about faulty wiring or failing components. Don't want to damage the new fixture either.
It's most likely to be induced voltages in the cable !
More commonly known as "PHANTOM VOLTAGE"

Its not unusual for digital meters with high input
impedance to pick up these voltages.

If you want to be sure, put a load,
such as a light bulb on the wire.
If the voltage goes away,
then for sure its a phantom voltage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was phantom voltage... thanks for the tips. I also tested the resistance through the switch to be sure it wasn't failing and it didn't register with switch off so switch is ok.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top