DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is probably a dumb question, but here goes...

I have a Q06-12L-100S subpanel, which has six spaces for breakers. So, I could put in 12 half-size breakers. But, I'm short on space and I need to add a 240V circuit.

Do I have to use two of my six spaces for a 240V breaker? Or, is there a breaker that fits into a single space?

Thanks
Eric

·
Electrical Contractor
3,368 Posts
You will have to use two spaces for that 240 Volt circuit. That will leave 4 spaces, or up to 8 single pole circuits, if you use tandem type breakers.

Square D does not make tandem type QO 2-pole breakers these days.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the explanations. So, what would you suggest I do if I need more space? Would I need to change out the whole panel? Or, would a "quad breaker" be the way to go?

I only need one 240V circuit. And, all the existing spaces already have tandems, except one.

Eric

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
A quad is definitely the best solution to that problem, if they make a suitable quad for that panel. You can use the two other poles that you're not using for the 240V circuit for something else.

·
Super Moderator
14,237 Posts
I have never seen a QO quad. I think the solution would be to install a larger panel. I they use the same brand all the parts can transfer over.

Reactions: mpoulton
1 - 5 of 5 Posts