DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have these under cabinet lights that have 24 awg wires and I’d like to hardwire them to a switch that’s powered by 14/2 romex. Is there anyway to make this happen? An inexpensive converter? A secret method I don’t know about? Anything?

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
24AWG is a pretty small wire if it needs to carry any amount of current. You wouldn't want to use it for more than 0.5Amps.

What kind of over current protection do you have on this circuit?

That said, a Wago 221 connector can handle from 24AWG solid to 14AWG solid/stranded wires.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
dont think what you want to do is code, you want to modify plug-in led light to hardwire them?
You spoke of a converter, but maybe you do just want to plug in a 120 volt light string (or wire to a switch).

What voltage is your under counter lighting.?
Does it presently have a 120 plug on it's end.

·
Registered
9,028 Posts
If your light fixture is intended for 120 volts and, instead of gold and silver screw terminals it has 24 gauge black and white wires coming out, then you may wire nut those wires to an ordinary 20 amp or 15 amp branch circuit feeding into the outlet box to which the light fixture is attached.

Overcurrent protection for those 24 gauge fixturewires is provided by the lamps (bulbs) in the light fixture in that the lamps will draw no more power than they want,.

·
Remodel and New Build GC
9,461 Posts
if small wire are exposed for 120v they must have a fuse to protect them (a lot of small led lights have a built-in fuse inside the 120v plug).
Yes...Think xmas lights.....

Basically, we don't know WHAT the OP has.:wink2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts