DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm installing a 24" deep wall cabinet above a fridge. The alcove for the fridge is 32" deep and I'm wondering if "cleats" (one for the top and one for the bottom of the cabinet) screwed to the studs behind the cabinet are the best way to secure the cabinet to the wall. The cleat I was thinking of (similar to the one in the attached pic) would be made of two 2x4s. One 2x4 would be screwed to the wall. Then I would attach 5" long spacers (2x4s) that are attached to the 2x4 on the wall. And finally I would attach the second 2x4 to the spacers. The length of the cleat would match the width of the cabinet (30") and it would be extended out 8" from the back wall, which is far enough so that the cabinet would be flush with the alcove opening.

I would also screw the cabinet to the side walls. The alcove is about 2" wider than the cabinet, so I was going to attach 1" thick wood strips to the walls on each side of the cabinet to fill the gap between the wall and cabinet.

Any feedback about whether this design would work or if there's a better way. Thanks in advance.

Michael

Attachments

·
Registered
51 Posts
if you want hang cabinet with cleats use a french cleat set up done on table saw or router. a 24 inch deep upper is usally unsable as things will get pushed to back and the you will have to remove items to get to them. this why upper cabinets are 12 inches deep. you will need to use a step stool or 4 ft ladder.

·
retired framer
63,400 Posts
Thanks for the reply. Screwing to the sides is enough, i.e. I wouldn't need the cleats?
Your not likely going to put a lot of weight but if some one pulls on an open door that is 3 ft from the wall, lots of leverage to pull on screws.
I would screw both sides and back.

·
Registered
51 Posts
does this cabinet have a face frame? that will put you 3/8 inch from sidewalls, also is the cabinet scarceness a minimum of 1/2 plywood on back and sides? If you are still going to screw it to side use GRK screws not drywall screws. They are not cheap, but you will not need that many. If you used drywall screws to hold your back support you might to replace with GRK.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
does this cabinet have a face frame? that will put you 3/8 inch from sidewalls, also is the cabinet scarceness a minimum of 1/2 plywood on back and sides? If you are still going to screw it to side use GRK screws not drywall screws. They are not cheap, but you will not need that many. If you used drywall screws to hold your back support you might to replace with GRK.
Yes, it has a face frame and the "plywood" on the back and sides is 1/2 inch. The cabinets are Allen Roth and the plywood is much lighter in weight than the 1/2 inch plywood I'm use to using, which is why I'm not sure if hanging the cabinet from the sides only will be enough. And I'm definitely down with the GRK screws. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Yes, it has a face frame and the "plywood" on the back and sides is 1/2 inch. The cabinets are Allen Roth and the plywood is much lighter in weight than the 1/2 inch plywood I'm use to using, which is why I'm not sure if hanging the cabinet from the sides only will be enough. And I'm definitely down with the GRK screws. Thanks.
You should be able to catch a couple studs at the top, in the back too, to prevent any weight from pulling it forward, like when your great aunts antique set of dishes gets put up there out of the way. Plan ahea d

·
Registered
51 Posts
You can take up space on sides of carcass and wall by using shims and run screws thru top of cabinet and bottom of cabinet. if needed use some thin plywood as spacer between wall and sides.

·
Registered
Building my last home
3,904 Posts
Unless your planning on putting a lot of weight in the cabinet I would omit the cleats after I screwed the cabinet to the walls and other cabinets. This 24" cabinet needs at least 1" of clearance sides and top to allow the refer to expel heat.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts