DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Gas Electrical wiring Cable Wire Auto part
I just bought a plasma cutter that runs on 230v or 460v, i am set up in a single phase in my shop with a 50 amp inlet 2 hot and 1 ground. Which wires do I use outta the four wires that came with the unit? Green ground, black hot , red hot ?? The unit spec says it can be set up in 230v SP*/3PH**, 460v SP/3PH

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes that’s what I was thinking, this plasma doesn’t need a neutral so I’m assuming that white wire is for a 3 phase set up. I was just gonna hook up the green to the ground, and red /black hot wires.

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Are you certain it can run on single phase? If it can do both then there must be some jumpers inside that need to be switched around.

It is never good to guess. What is the make and model of the unit?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
There should be a wiring diagram at the terminals, probably on the cover.
Automotive tire Camera accessory Electrical wiring Camera lens Cable
The unit doesn’t show anything of the wire diagram. I’m pretty sure I don’t need a white neutral wire hooked up. If I go with all wires hooked up it will be like an oven plug 2 hot, 1 neutral, 1 ground. Most plasmas are 240v 2 hot 1 ground. Not sure if the white wire is a 120v or 240v to make up the 460v with 3 wires plus ground

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok I will get back to you guys after removing the covering. I know mostly shipped products from China are set to the highest volt rating. This unit came from princess auto. No support on the help line. The recommended an electrician so I called and asked him about the unit showed him the wires. He needs the diagram to see what’s in it. So no choice to open her up and I’ll show pics on here.

·
Registered
Electrical apprentice
231 Posts
Yes that’s what I was thinking, this plasma doesn’t need a neutral so I’m assuming that white wire is for a 3 phase set up. I was just gonna hook up the green to the ground, and red /black hot wires.
There’s probably parts of the cutter (screen, controls?) that run on 120 so if there’s a neutral I’d use it.

·
Super Moderator
22,766 Posts
Here is the manual
It does not give any specific connection instructions. If it is 3 phase machine then all three wires are hots. If I had to guess I would cap the white and use the black and red as hot. But guessing is not wise when dealing with electric. I would email the source you bought it from and get a definite answer.
The green is definitely ground.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the manual
It does not give any specific connection instructions. If it is 3 phase machine then all three wires are hots. If I had to guess I would cap the white and use the black and red as hot. But guessing is not wise when dealing with electric. I would email the source you bought it from and get a definite answer.
The green is definitely ground.
yes that’s what my cousin had said, I’m just gonna try that. He said usually on older tech there’s jump cables or plating for 208-230-460v set up but since this is new it prob does it automatically

·
Registered
Building my last home
1,698 Posts
I went and looked at the manual posted, it is less than helpful, as you are aware.

With out taking the machine apart and tracing the wiring your pretty much hosed.
Manual does state single and 3 phase.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts