DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 100amp sub panel in my shed run off the main panel from the house on a 50amp breaker. the feeder line is 2 thnn 4 gauge wires (one hot and the other neutral) running 70 foot underground in plastic conduit with a grounding rod at the shed. right now I'm running 110v but I'm wanting to run a 220v disconnect to a hot tub and a 110v to my pool. Could I use a 60amp double pole in the house to the sub panel installing ???gauge neutral and moving the other 4 gauge to hot then a 30amp double to the hot tub using 10/3 uf-b splitting off to a 110v receptacle for the pool? Need some help on this one... Thank you

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So what I need to know is what size neutral can a get away with from the house to the sub panel in the shed to make it 220v? And from the shed sub panel to the hot tub/ pool can I run a 10/3 uf-b w/ground to the hot tub making 2 hot wires one neutral and one ground. Two of the wires hot..to the hot tub and piggy back one hot for a gfi plug for the pool with both having the same neutrals and grounds?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I can't get any help..... Let's say I have a 30amp breaker in the house feeding 2- 4awg thhn wires to the sub panel in the shed. One is hot and the other is neutral and the shed has its own ground. Can I put the two 4awg thhn wires as hot wire on a double pole breaker from the house and run a separate #10 wire as a neutral from the house panel to make 220v in the shed? It is 70 foot from the house to the shed. Then run 10/3 w/ground 60 foot to a 220v hot tub.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
You can get any help because it is 2-4AM where most people are reading this.

Your posts are kind of confusing. You are all over the place with this information.

As long as there is conduit the whole way you can pull in a neutral, but you also need a separate grounding conductor between the two panels. The ground rod at the shed serves a totally different purpose so that is not a consideration.
With #4cu hot wires it is reasonable to have a #6cu neutral. The ground can be #8cu. If this truly is THHN in conduit the whole way you can put this on up to a 70A breaker considering the short 70' distance.

Check the specs on the hot tub. I'll all but guaranty #10 on a 30A is too small.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much just seen people viewing the post... I work nights. So a #6 would be sufficient. Sorry about how it is worded. We ran 2 wires both are 4 Thhn 70'. We didn't run a ground between the two panels due to some bad advice. So I need two hots, one neutral, and one ground ... correct. And 10/3 will not work? And all of this can be on a 50amp coming from the house to the sub panel? The hot tub needs a 240 @50A according to the book? What do you suggest.? I just want it done right.

·
Registered
9,630 Posts
With the hot tub an additional 60 feet from the shed making a total of 130 feet from the house panel I would say you need #4 copper (with separate #8 equipment grounding conductor) going the whole distance to supply the hot tub with 50 amps at 240 volts plus a small amount of additional power for lights etc. at the hot tub and in the shed.

Your total power draw from the house will still be limited to the 70 amps as stated previously so, when the hot tub is running then what you do in the shed will be quite limited.

You may not run a second feed from the house panel to the shed. Assuming the plastic conduit is fat enough you can add the neutral and equipment grounding conductor to convert that line to 120/240 (110/120) volts.

You would have a subpanel in the shed with a double breaker for the continuing feed to the hot tub area.

You would have another subpanel (sub-subpanel) at the hot tub to separate the 50 amp need of the hot tub itself from separate max 20 amp branch circuits for lights and receptacles out there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts