1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Super Moderator
9,393 Posts
The genarator has a 120/240 volt receptacle, and the heater is a straight 208/240 plug.

The plug and receptale will not work together.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
receptacles and plugs are rated for both voltage and current (amps). Each different design is that way so you cannot plug an incorrect plug into a give receptacle.

Many generators use a 30 amp 120/240 receptacle. That has 4 conductors and supplies both 120 volt and 240 volts supplies up to 30 amps. There are also receptacles that are designed to supply just 240 voltage. Those would have only 3 conductors.

then to further make things more fun, there are straight blade receptacles and twist lock receptacles. The twist lock use a slight twisting motion to lock the plug into the receptacle so it is not accidentally removed.

you can go to this site and see a chart of some of the various receptacle designs. There are a lot more but I think this one likely included what you are looking at there.

http://www.nooutage.com/nema_configurations.htm

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that info. So do you think I can find a gererator that will accept that plug style? That's all I really need to worry about, right? Is that plug fitting into the correct receptical. Thanks.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Just make an adapter with a short length of cable, or replace the plug on the heater so it matches the generator.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The genarator has a 120/240 volt receptacle, and the heater is a straight 208/240 plug.

The plug and receptale will not work together.

" Just make an adapter with a short length of cable, or replace the plug on the heater so it matches the generator".

Will this work?

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
" Just make an adapter with a short length of cable, or replace the plug on the heater so it matches the generator".

Will this work?
Yes. That's why I suggested it.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts
Actually, you have a problem. That generator isn't big enough for that heater. It's not a 4500W generator, it's only 3500 (read the fine print) and that heater requires 4kW at 240V. You'll need a bit bigger generator. It's usually a good idea to have at least 25% extra generator capacity beyond the load you're using, otherwise it may not last very long. You might try a 5kW generator - but make sure it's really 5kW continuous, not 5kW peak with a lower continuous rating.

You'll still have to make an adapter cable or replace the plug on the heater.

·
Semi-Pro Electro-Geek
3,403 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok thanks. So after I snip the end of the heater plug off ( which I don't have yet ) there will be three wires: White, Black, & Red? White not being used? Thanks.

·
You talking to me?
7,551 Posts
Ok thanks. So after I snip the end of the heater plug off ( which I don't have yet ) there will be three wires: White, Black, & Red? White not being used? Thanks.
no. on the heater there will be only 3 wires: they could be just about any color but one should be green. That will go to the ground terminal in the plug usually a green screw). The other 2 wires will go to the hot wire terminals (usually brass colored screws) There will be nothing on the neutral connection (usually a silver colored screw)

what mpoulton was meaning to say is you will not connect anything to the neutral connection of the plug. The neutral wire would be a white wire. In your situation, you aren't going to actually have any white wires to use as a neutral although one of the wires in your cord on the heater might be white, it still isn't a neutral wire if your heater is a straight 240 volt appliance.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
Whoa...don't forget the part that the generator won't handle that load....no matter what plug confuguration you come up with. Forget the adapter, it's not going to work.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
no. on the heater there will be only 3 wires: they could be just about any color but one should be green. That will go to the ground terminal in the plug usually a green screw). The other 2 wires will go to the hot wire terminals (usually brass colored screws) There will be nothing on the neutral connection (usually a silver colored screw)

what mpoulton was meaning to say is you will not connect anything to the neutral connection of the plug. The neutral wire would be a white wire. In your situation, you aren't going to actually have any white wires to use as a neutral although one of the wires in your cord on the heater might be white, it still isn't a neutral wire if your heater is a straight 240 volt appliance.

Ok..........thanks for explaining that a little clearer, thanks!

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
I'm curious...are you indending to have this heater permanently installed? I would think it would be cheaper to wire it in directly than pay for the gas to keep the generator running.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No.......just want to use it during the winter months in the garage. Need the generator as well for when are electricity goes out during a storm, which is quite frequent around here. So are basement doesn't get flooded. Need it for the sump pump. Plan on moving in the near future that's why I don't want to run 220 out to the garage. Thanks for the help.

·
Wire Chewer
3,585 Posts
Are you using a gas generator to power a heater? It would be more efficient to use propane and just use a propane heater. That way your not converting heat to movement, then to electricity, and then back to heat again. Just a thought...

As far as the wiring, you could probably change the plug provided that the wattage/voltage matches.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts