DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,391 Posts
Because there's 208V instead.

That will be FINE.

Because most breakers simply plug-on to a panel. It's very, very simple: you a) attach the wire, b) notch the heel of the breaker into the slot, and c) rock the breaker forward to lie it flat and it snaps onto the bus stabs.

If you have a plug-on panel and the electrician refuses to add a circuit live, they're not a licensed electrician.

However, some commercial-side breakers actually do bolt-on to the panel.

With bolt-on panels the concern is more reasonable.
I beg to differ with you. While most will do the work, my company has a zero live work policy.
The only time you can b inside a live panel, is for testing purposes. They are even talking about suiting up to open the door.
Hot work requires 5 pages of paperwork and an officer of the client and company to sign off. In all the years I have been here, we have had 2 hot work permits approved.

Their thinking is the cost of downtime in case something goes wrong.
Can you be down for the time it takes to install the circuit, or can you afford to be down for days or weeks to replace a panel that has been damaged due to arc flash.
I'm an old electrician, and have done things in the past that I wouldn't even think about these days.
I've been around long before LOTO was even though about.

Think about it how you will, but my safety training has been no hot work.

Reactions: hornetd

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Not sure if it will work for you - but they make 120v dryers.
Yes, I am aware, but they are too small and usually need venting. Thank you.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks all for the helpful feedback. Really appreciate it! I think the way to go is to suck it up and spend the money to have 240V run into the room. Even if that is $2-3k because of the distance and other possible complications, it will amortize in a matter of a couple of months (looking at our current laundry expenses).

41 - 43 of 43 Posts