DIY Home Improvement Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
grizzled
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am replacing an old two wire range that I have hardwired to the circuit. Fot the new dual fuel range, a 4 prong outlet is called for. I realize that an entire replacement run from the breaker box is called for. What do I do with the extra two wires?

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
Connect them to the panel and outlet as to their right places? Black and red to their own breakers, bare to ground bus bar, neutral white to neutral bus bar and then similar terminals on the outlet.

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
I am replacing an old two wire range that I have hardwired to the circuit. Fot the new dual fuel range, a 4 prong outlet is called for. I realize that an entire replacement run from the breaker box is called for. What do I do with the extra two wires?
If you are running a new circuit WHY would you have an extra two wires? :huh:

·
grizzled
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Thanks for quick reply, I have an older breaker box. Is it likely that I will have ground and neutal bus bars? Much of my house is knob and tube. I do have one grounded circuit that I set up 15+ years ago. I forget how I grounded itbut it is grounded for a three prong 120 outlet

·
grizzled
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Speedey,
The existing circuit has just two wires, I believe. The modern circuit has the neutral and ground along with the heat. Now I must open up my breaker box to see if I'm gifted with a neutral bus bar

·
Licensed Electrical Cont.
7,829 Posts
If you run a new circuit that will have everything you need. You CANNOT just run a 2-wire cable to add what you need.

If you run a new cable then just cap off (on both ends) and ignore the old cable.

·
A "Handy Husband"
13,659 Posts
I know this is a DIY forum, but based on your terminology and lack of electrical basics: I recommend you hire an electrician.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.